A Couple Of Things I Picked Up Along The Way, Baby Girl

My mom always told me that my baby girl would be 10 times worse than I was growing up.

130

I will train you to know to never talk to strangers. Technically, I am not a stranger; I know we haven't met yet and by definition
I am a stranger but neither of us is fully prepared for what being in each others lives right now will entail but I am your mother--eventually-- and I have a lot to say. A twist on the "What To Expect When You're Expecting." I just want you to know that when you hear me fighting with either your siblings or your other parent; my love for them has not lessened and it happens, but feel free to pull me to the side and tell me I'm wrong. I am human and I can be wrong. No matter what is said, find it in yourself to forgive but never feel obligated to forget. Remember, the ooze of melted cheese and golden bread will be used as a white flag in this family. I make the best grilled cheese, be prepared for passing recipes and kitchen hacks. Your grandfather and I bonded
the most during meal preparations. It was his way of telling me he loved me; especially when I successfully cleared the hand mixers blades from excess batter-- without making a mess. The silent praise was better than any award.

When you find a song that really resonates with you, don't question it. Just put it on every time you need a little extra boost;
invite me to dance sometimes. If they (boy or girl... mama don't judge) text you after 1 a.m. don't answer, and if you do, because let's not pretend you won't because you will, you are your mother's' daughter after all-- be prepared for a long night. I wish I had listened when someone had sat me down and told me to look for the red flags-- that a hot temper actually isn't sexy and that if its the wall hosting the meet and greet with fiery fists that it could easily be human ribs. I wish someone had told me that just because he calls you princess and calls you late at night doesn't mean he loves you-- matter of fact, if he's anything like the boys I know, you won't know he actually loved you and it wasn't all in your head until you're 17 and he calls you-- drunk-- while away at college to say "It's you. It's always been you. I've always loved you. But you can do better than me and that's why I left." It's bull and don't fall for it.

When you find yourself in situations that look like crop tops in summer nights, drinking out of ice cold glass bottles and the occasional red solo cup, with music so loud your taste buds get up and dance-- remember to never take drinks from people
don't know and even people you do know. Keep an eye on your cup at all times. Call me if you have no safe way home. No matter what I will come to get you. No questions asked. I say this all not to scare you but to let you in on some of the things that
have happened to me and people around me. Most importantly I want you to leave with this: one of the few things I learned from my parents is that there is no rush in growing up, so stop every once in a while and just look up with curious eyes and an open mind. The world is yours for the taking--don't take it for granted. Be the best you that you can be and if one day you aren't; just go to bed, wake up and do better the next day. I believe in you and all that you will achieve. I love you; please never
forget that and never be afraid to come to me with anything.

Don't let anyone make you feel like you're not worthy of love. You are worthy of love and so much more my sweet baby girl.

Love always,

An Unconventional Hypothetical Mother