An Open Letter To College Now That My Semester Is Over

Dear College, Now That My Semester Is Over, I'm Tired And Frustrated

So yeah. College isn't cool, but it's a necessity. I'm frustrated about it. I'm tired.

22

OK, I get it. It's college. We're all stressed about finals, holidays, family, whatever. But college is the main catalyst for this stress, for many more reasons than just being academic.

Of course, we do have the academic stress. For me, personally, I am actually SO CLOSE to getting a 4.0 for the semester, and I'm really stressed out about it. However, I know that this upcoming finals season decides whether some people come back for a second semester, or if they keep their scholarship. Learning is tough, and the American education system doesn't make it any easier.

College strikes in other ways too. It hits you in roommate drama, or friend groups splitting up. It gets you when you realize that you have to figure out how you're going to get food because you've run out of money and swipes at the dining hall. It attacks you when you have to pack up all your stuff on top of studying for finals. You're bamboozled when the bill comes in, and question why classes cost that much.

It's not fair.

College takes advantage of us when we're down, when we're suffering, and when we just need a break. For some, the 'no excuses' college system works, because it helps them get their butt into gear and learn how to study and take care of themselves. For others, though, it's different. They know how to take care of themselves, but they have to work on top of school, or take care of their family on top of school, or they get sick on top of school. To college, this balancing act is named an "excuse," because you're not trying your hardest unless you are skinny with a 4.0 GPA, a loving family, and a giant group of friends.

It's not fair, and I'm so angry about it.

I saw this tweet that said something along the lines of "if you don't get excited to see all your friends after a long break, you've picked the wrong college."

This tweet blew up because everyone likes to think they're having the time of their life because they're more excited to see friends than family. They think it's cool to not care about their family and only focus on themselves and their 'friend group' which, according to my observations, will probably dissolve after you guys realize you secretly can't stand each other.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.