An Open Letter To The Friend Who Broke My Heart

Hello, stranger...

35
sodahead.com

Hi. It's been a while since we've spoken. In the many years that we were friends, best friends even, I went through my fair share of heartbreak (and you did too). You held my hand and you told me that everything would be okay, that I could come over and we'd have a marathon of The Nanny or watch some stupid movie to get my mind off of things. You reminded me that you would be there for me forever.

As it turns out, forever came a lot faster than I'd expected.

No matter how much it hurt when I got my heart broken by a guy, having my heart broken by my best friend was catastrophically worse. It doesn't matter what it was that you did to ruin our friendship (although I'll never forget it), what matters is that it happened, and not only that, but that you didn't fight to keep me in your life afterward. I never expected a betrayal from someone I'd considered so loyal for so long. We used to go out and people would ask us if we were sisters, and we embraced it. I truly thought that you would be a friend to me for the rest of our lives.

I will always be hurt by what you did to me. I think of you sometimes and all of the fun times we used to have, the millions of memories, and I will admit that I miss you on occasion. There are few people in this world who understood me the way you did, and when I see you around I feel a little pang of regret for allowing what you did to tear us apart so completely.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I forgive you.

I honestly don't think I could ever see us being friends again, so much irreparable damage has been done, but I want you to know that I'm still rooting for you. I remember all the jerks you've been with in your past, and I hope you find someone who treats you better than they did. I hope you do well in your schooling and I hope your family is okay. In some ways I hope you understand the devastation of what you did to me, and in others I never want you to feel that way. When I see you from now on I will greet you with a smile and a nod instead of shutting you off completely. I have made peace with what happened and I am finally ready to move on.

You will always be a large piece of my past, and I wouldn't trade the good memories for anything.

Sincerely,

Your Ex Best Friend