An Open Letter To The Friend Who Is Always There

Thank you for always being there for me, even when I don't do the same.

16695
Huffington Post

Dear Friend,

You have always been here for me. Ever since the day I met you, you have stood by my side and supported me in everything I have done. When it felt like the rest of the world was against me, you always had my back. You are the one person I knew I could always rely on to give me an honest opinion, whether I wanted it or not. And even if you did not agree with the decision I made in the end, you still supported me. You have never pressured me one way or another, but you have continuously pushed me to pursue my dreams, even though our dreams took us six hours apart. You are the most selfless person I know, and for this I am forever grateful.

Thank you. Words cannot express the blessing you are in my life. It does not matter how long we go without talking, when we get together it is like we were just together yesterday; nothing has changed. Thank you for always answering my phone call no matter what time it is, for listening to my boy problems, and for venting with me about the latest drama. Thank you for not getting annoyed when I call you daily for the next week to make sure you are completely updated when something exciting happens in my life. Thank you for being the perfect listener and a great shoulder to cry on. For all the times I forgot to say it, thank you.

I'm sorry. Thinking back on our friendship, I know there are times I have messed up. I'm sorry for all the times I have taken your friendship for granted. There are times when I get caught up in myself and in college life and we go weeks without talking. However, inevitably, eventually something happens and I call you because you are the friend who is always there. I'm sorry for sometimes not reciprocating this constant availability. You always make time for me, and I know sometimes I do not do this for you, but I'm trying. And I promise I want to be there for you in every aspect of your life, as you are for me. Never forget how much I appreciate you.

Don't forget to put yourself first sometimes. Being who you are, you are always putting other people before yourself. This is an incredible gift you have, and I am eternally grateful for finding a friend like you. However, please do not forget about your own needs, and do not let others constantly take you for granted. Your selflessness is a gift, don't let others use it against you.

I am always here for you. As many times as you have been there for me, I am here for you too. Even if it seems like I am too busy for you, I promise I want to talk to you. I just don't have the gift you do of making myself constantly available. Your gift is something I admire and you are a friend I could never imagine losing.

I love you more than you know.

Sincerely,

Your Imperfect Friend