An Open Letter To The Best Friend I'm Leaving

I'll be back before you know it.

50308
Anne McKamey

Dear Best Friend,

For the last five years, you have been my confidant, my shoulder to cry on, the person I scream songs with in the car. You have been there through all the first dates, first kisses and heartbreaks. You reassure me when I get too anxious, that everything will be OK. You have been there for me no matter what. You have been by my side when no one else would, through the good and bad.

Every bone in my body wants to drag you to school with me. To tell you that you can't be separate from me. You are the person I want to tell everything. You are the person who doesn't judge me for being myself. You are the person who turns every situation into a memorable, important moment in my life. You are selfless, kind and so inspiring. I don't know how to tell you how much you mean to me.

But just like every other first year college student around this time, it is time to start wrapping up one part of life and start another. For me, you are the one part of this chapter that I don't want to leave. Yes, we will stay in contact and talk every day. Yes, you will always be my best friend. There will always be other friends, there will always be people that come in and out of my life. You will be one thing that never leaves. It will be different; it will be a struggle. It will be the one part of leaving that feels like I'm not moving on to bigger and better things, because I've already found the best.

While I'm so sad to leave, I know we both are so ready for this step. While we may not be together physically, we are there in spirit through every hard test, big move, job interview and every big or small moment in-between. I know I will feel your constant support no matter what the distance, and you will feel mine. There will be new memories to share with each other, and the time we do get to spend together, we will cherish even more.

It has come time to say goodbye for now. After being inseparable for five years, we will have to live our lives 615.2 miles from each other's doorsteps - spending every day living different lives, in different towns, with different friends. This goodbye is short. It is just until November. But this is a different kind of goodbye. It isn't a goodbye in the sense of until next time. It's more than that. It is a goodbye in the way that we are starting new chapters. We say goodbye together to our old lives, and say hello to our new lives, separately. This is the hardest goodbye.

And with this, I leave you with how much I love you, and a heavy heart filled with the bright memories that you left with me.

Goodbye for now.