An Open Letter To Sigma Phi Epsilson

An Open Letter To Sigma Phi Epsilson

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for making me, a better me.

22
An Open Letter To Sigma Phi Epsilson
Dewey Jordan Copley

To greek life or not to greek life? A question that several young men and women ask themselves. However, that question was never on my mind. Being a first generation college student, I was not interested in participating in some “organization” where being productive consists of bad stereotypes. That was just not my style. What changed my mind you ask? Great question. The answer is quite simple - SigEp.

Deciding to join this Brotherhood my first semester of college back in Fall 2013 is easily the best decision I could have made to better myself. Sigma Phi Epsilon has given me so much more these last two years than I could have ever imagined to have gained through them. I have gained the leadership skills that will allow me to oversee various projects that can lead to job opportunities. I have gained the confidence of being myself and not letting any type of scenario hinder others to see who I truly am. For me, the biggest aspect of Sigma Phi Epsilon is I have gained a lifelong family. Family that, even after graduation, I know will continue to be my side, as I will be for them. Family that, if I’m stressed about an upcoming lesson plan, will do everything in their power to help me out. Family that will uplift my spirits in time or need or praise alongside my accomplishments.

Sigma Phi Epsilon claims that this fraternity will be different. Well, let me be the first one to say: that is not a claim, it is fact. To be someone who had no intentions of joining greek life to one who joined this amazing brotherhood, SigEp is different – in the absolute best way imaginable. Sigma Phi Epsilon, especially the KY Zeta Chapter at my home university of Morehead State University, for showing me that this is not an "organization", but a lifelong commitment that will be one that is not regretted. They have changed my life by sculpting this shy, timid guy to this young fraternity man who now leads projects with confidence, someone who gives campus tour, and someone who recently won homecoming king and much more! All because of the brothers I have supporting myself every step I take. To remind me to always be virtuous. To be diligent always. To show brotherly love to ensure we are continuously being there for one another - even in not ideal situations. Because, no matter what happens, I’m certain my brothers will always be there because: “I believe I should be generous with the of a brother, as I should wish him to be with mine.”

I guess what I'm trying to say is: thank you. Thank you Sigma Phi Epsilon for giving me the confidence I needed to assure myself I can do anything I set my mind to. Thank you for giving me some of the greatest friends I could have ever asked for. Thank you for giving me the best big brother as a role model to assist me in bettering myself through my SigEp experience. Thank you for giving me two little brothers to be a role model for, because I'm positive I would be lost without either one of them. All in all, thank you from the bottom of my heart for making me, a better me.

A Proud SigEp. VDBL.