Open Letter To My Former School System

Open Letter To My Former School System

10
Open Letter To My Former School System

I was a student in Baltimore County Public Schools I(BCPS) for 13 years. The vigorous curriculum has pushed me to educational levels I didn’t think I would reach. I wouldn’t have been able to be successful without the encouragement and love from many of BCPS‘s amazing teachers and administrators. My BCPS journey began at Powhatan elementary School and there is where I gained my foundation. I wouldn’t have even had the courage to push myself and step outside of the box without the encouragement of Mrs. Pamela Ahmed. Mrs. Ahmed made her classroom feel like a safe haven. I felt comfortable making mistakes in her presence knowing that I would be corrected and guided with love. Even with her love and encouragement she set her expectations high for her students. She wanted us all to get a glimpse of how great we could be academically and personally. Those expectations helped to prepare me for middle school. As I entered Deer Park Middle Magnet School I met an amazing woman named Ms. Penelope Martin. Ms. Martin was the principal of Deer Park. She shared her love of learning, life and people with all of her students. Ms. Martin wanted to ensure that all of her students received the best education possible, and that they were challenged to reach higher academically. Ms. Martin encouraged me to be the change I wanted to see in those around me and my community. In middle school I got involved in everything that I could hoping that I could be like Ms. Martin and change a life even if it was just for a moment. My involvement in middle school prepared me for the balancing of academics and extra-curricular activities in high school. As I started at Lansdowne high school I maintained my academics while again being involved in as many extra-curricular activities. I met Mrs. Katie Showalter while being a part of our spring musical my freshman year. Our bond from that point continued to grow throughout my 4 years there. Mrs. Showalter cared about me as a person and really wanted to see me excel in high school. She was always there to give advice or to even celebrate my accomplishments. Ms. Angela Berry was an assistant principal at Lansdowne for my freshman and sophomore year. She made those years simply amazing. She never hesitated to correct me and remind me that my education is my first priority in school not my extra-curricular activities. Ms. Berry knew the right words to say to change your day around. What touched me most was that Ms. Berry kept in contact with me even though she no longer worked at my school. Then came along Mrs. Natalie Adams, she was the assistant Principal for my junior and senior year. Mrs. Adams became a mentor to me. She was always there to help me with life decisions, never telling me how or what to decide but guiding me to make my own decision. She cared about me for me and only wanted the absolute best for me. Mrs. Adams too would correct me and celebrate me. She treated me as one of her own. She held the standard/ expectation higher for me than she did for others because she wanted me to reach my fullest potential in school which would lead to me aiming to reach my fullest potential in life.

Although I remember a lot of the lessons I was taught and some of the amazing activities I did, what has a lasting impact on me is the kindness, empathy, care and concern of these woman. They took the time out to listen to me. They asked how I really was. These women were the difference in my life. As I journey through college, I know that I am fully equipped to handle whatever is thrown my way, not only because of the education provided through BCPS, but also because of the great support system they gave me . Thank you for providing such a great education with such amazing and inspiring individuals.

Sincerely,

Chontel M. Bevans