Open Letter To People Who Deal With Racist Families

Race should not determine who I am allowed to love.

16

Family is supposed to support your choices no matter what. At times they may disagree, but they aren't supposed to fully turn you away or disown you. You would think that in today's times, race wouldn't be as big of a deal as it is. From a young age I was always told that God wouldn't like it if I end up dating someone that wasn't the same race as I. I never thought of it as being racist, I thought it was what truly God wanted.

Fast forward five years and I had my sights on a Hispanic boy. We began talking and I loved talking to him. Everything felt perfect with our constant communicating back and forth. Then my family from the Southern part of the U.S. found out we were "talking". You could say they had an intervention with me. Telling me that I was wrong for liking him and criticizing him without even knowing him. How is that fair to him?

In the end, I took the beating; however, I have been dating said boy for over a year. I have had little to no communication with my family but I have come to realize that he makes me the happiest I have ever been. Yes, sometimes I wish we spoke more. But I know that it will never work out in the end, I would be able to feel the silent criticism.