A Letter To Parents Who Make Their Child Play Instruments (Only To Take Them Away Later)

Thank you. Not.

35
Unsplash

To the best parents in the world,

Thank you for making your kids play musical instruments. You really knew how to give your kids the most productive childhood they could possibly ever have. Hanging out with friends or doing other hobbies couldn’t possibly compare to the melodies of music! Certainly playing an instrument as a child and carrying it all throughout high school is the greatest joy someone can experience. Playing an instrument at such a young age and doing all those practice logs and private lessons is such a productive curricular activity that nothing else can compare to.

And just when your children wanted to carry on with their pursuit of music, just when they decided that they wanted to continue their instruments onwards, you smartly took them away and helped your child focus on what’s really important, not music at all, but a stable future and career in other words: real life. I mean, all those piano lessons for a medical degree? I guess you can call that the keys to success. After all, a career as a musician is only but a fantasy.

Now you can sell those same instruments for money, while your children get to find a new passion; it’s a win-win situation!

If your children ever complain, don’t listen to their whimpers. Everyone knows that you know best. Your wisdom and discernment is absolute. You lived much longer than your children, so of course you know what would be the best for them. Those private lessons that you paid out of your own pocket, those recitals that you took your precious time to attend, all of that time, money, and effort spent in your child’s musical side, then replacing it with a bright career path in a different direction.

Your children must be so grateful to you for helping them focus on their studies and pursuing a more financially stable career, if they had continued down the path of music, who knows where they might’ve ended up? So kudos to you, parents, for knowing the best route for your children in making them the most successful and joyous people they can be. One day they’ll look back and say, “I am so glad that I got to play an instrument that I really loved before I had to focus on a stable career path.” I hope you continue to remind your kids just how much you support and care about their dreams and passions.

Sincerely,

A child who no longer has an instrument