An Open Letter to My Not So 20/20 Eyes

An Open Letter to My Not So 20/20 Eyes

What lens am I meant to look through?

16
An Open Letter to My Not So 20/20 Eyes

Dear my imperfect, impaired visionary eyes,

You have caused me struggles throughout my life. From being called four eyes to the enjoyment of figuring out how to wear contacts you have bothered me.

At one point we got along just fine. You gave me such beautiful 20/20 vision showing me the world around me in fine details and bright colors. I had once felt unstoppable with you by my side. Through the wonderful years of elementary school, my vision was crystal clear. I was able to see the wonders of the world through my very own eyes. Now I am forced to look at the wonderful world around me through nothing, but lenses. Through my pair of brown, unflattering glasses I see the world around me. Through my light blue transparent contacts, I can only envision what the world must be.

My eyes give me such annoyances, for as soon as I take off my glasses or take my contacts out my world is blurry. What was once a pink elegant flower in the distance is now nothing more than a pink and green blur. My world is blurred through my eyes that are failing me. I can no longer see such a contrast in detailed beauty, but no more than a world filled with abstract art of shapes and colors.

Oh if only my eyes went back to 20/20 vision, then the world would be so pristine and clear again. Unfortunately to do so I must look through a lens. A lens constructed for me by an industrial company showing me what the world should look Iike.

But, how am I to know if this lens is showing me the truth of the world or only what the industries want me to see?How do I know if my eyes are the reality of the world and that the lens merely creates a mirage of the reality I am told to see? Are my dark brown eyes deceiving me as I look at the world around me? Am I being shown the world under a facade that doesn't truly exist or is it only my imagination that conforms me to this idea of what the world is like?

For what lens am I meant to use when looking upon the world? The lens that is given to me in the shape of brown rimmed glasses or a light blue contact lens? Or am I meant to look deeper into the blurry part of the world with my own dark brown lens given to me by God? Which lens is the correct one to look through?

Perhaps both are correct and it is up to me to look through the blurry shapes and colors of my own lens. Perhaps it is up to me to look through the sharp crisp colors and pristine images of the industrial lens. Perhaps it is up to me to decide my own perspective on this world and let the world show itself to me in a variety of ways. Perhaps I will do just that and see the world through my own lens. A lens that is decided by me and only me.