An Open Letter To My Incoming Residents

Hello, ladies!

I have been waiting all summer long to meet you guys, and as your move in days get closer, I am so excited! I've been in the dorm for almost five days, and believe me when I say that has made me more excited to meet you. Having a whole floor to yourself might seem fun until it's midnight and the corridor looks eerily dark and you swear you hear footsteps in the room next to you. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure that room is haunted, so I gladly open my own room to avoid any ghosts, because there is definitely a ghost in that room.

I know that this not how anyone expected your freshman year to go. And even though we're still unsure if you'll actually move in, I really hope you do. You deserve this part of the college experience, because COVID or not, it is so much fun. As a second year RA, this will be my third year in a dorm, and each year I have made friendships I know will last a lifetime. Some of my best college memories come from times spent in my residence halls, and I sincerely hope you get those moments, too.

As for what you can expect from me, I'm always going to be here for you. And not in the "peeking over your shoulder to make sure you're following all the rules" sort of way, but in the "big sister who wants to see you succeed" sort of way. Speaking of which, I have a few tips for you to help navigate your freshman year in probably the strangest academic year of our lives.

1. Talk to as many people as you can.

Socially distanced of course, but just remember everyone is as nervous as you are and everyone wants to make friends. And when that gets tough, come talk to me! I promise I'll try not to talk your ears off about my plans of having an alpaca farm.

2. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

There is no such thing as stupid questions, and I can guarantee that any question you have that you think is stupid, trust me, I've had it. Don't know where the trash room is? I gotchu. Can't open your mailbox? I will figure it out for you because I am also very bad at opening these mailboxes.

3. Get involved!

Clubs are meeting virtually this semester, but that shouldn't deter you from joining one or two clubs! It gives you something to do that's not homework, and it's a great way to meet people outside of the hall! (Come to me if you're unsure of which club to join, I would love to talk your ear off about all the ones I'm in.)

4. Don't freak out if the bathroom door won't open.

I'll be honest. I got locked in the girls' bathroom my first night here. But! I figured it out. You've gotta push the handle from the middle/bottom and not too slowly. But also not too quickly. Just at the right speed and the right angle and you'll be fine. If that doesn't work, just call me and I will gladly let you out.

5. Come to me for ~literally~ whatever you need!

In case you haven't picked up on the less than subtle hints. I'm not here to nanny you. As a Resident Assistant, I'm here to help you adjust to life at college, in whatever way you need. So you don't need to sit down and spill your life story to me (unless you want to); I'm here to answer the questions you think are stupid (but aren't), give you advice on life at Miami, and direct you to where you need to go to be the best version of yourself this year.

I'm here to help you and I am so looking forward to meet you guys. So get excited, because your first year of college is going to be a great one if I have anything to say about it! Also, I hope you guys like cacti, because I'm obsessed, so please get ready for cactus themed bulletin boards.

Love and Honor,

RA Anna