An Open Letter To My High School Teachers: One Year Later

Thank you for everything

53
US News & World Report

Dear High School Teachers,

It has been a year since I walked the halls. It's crazy how quickly this year flew. I just finished my first year of college. I fondly look back on my high school days. Over the years, many people have entered my life and I have learned many lessons. The most important lessons I learned didn't come from my textbooks.

I met some of you the day I walked into high school for the first time, some in the middle of my high school years and some my last year in high school. Regardless of what year I met you, each of you have impacted my life in such a positive way. When I think about high school, I think about all my teachers and the memories I made in each of your classes. Each classroom I was in, held so many memories. Getting to know each of you has made such a difference in my life. Being that shy, awkward girl that did not want to talk to anyone as a freshman and sophomore wasn't easy. Each of you helped me break through that shell.

You always put a smile on my face when I was having a bad day. Sometimes, just being in class made my day better, even if I did not feel like learning. Some of you talked to me everyday about life and even if it was not a bad day, just talking about life was such a nice thing. Seeing teachers that truly care about students like me was such an amazing thing.

Each of you gave me advice that will stay with me forever. I thank you for motivating me to do better. In your classes, I talked in front of people without nerves. I was able to not be shy because of the great atmosphere you made your classes to be.

As most of you know, I am working to become a teacher. You all are biggest reasons why I am choosing this field. You all showed me that a simple school teacher can make such a difference in this hectic world we live in. I hope to inspire students as much as you all inspired me. Years ago, I never thought high school would end. You all will always be remembered by me and so many other students.

It has been one year since I graduated, but your advice will last a lifetime. They say we meet people for a reason. All of you have entered my life to help inspire me. I don't think I could ever give enough thanks for all you did for me. Thank you for putting in your time to teach us. Thank you for staying up late to grade papers. Thank you for considering us people and not just a test score. Thank you for having your own life but still dedicating your time to us. I hope to change the lives of my students, just as you changed mine.

Thank you for everything.

-That Girl That Was Always Around