An Open Letter To My High School Sports Teams

Why my teams were the highlight of my high school experience.

168

To my high school sports teams,

Looking back on high school, I cannot help but be so grateful for these teams. You defined the ends of my summers, the beginning of my spring, and essentially my high school experience, which was quite a positive one. As both a spectator and a player, you were my daily entertainment and what brought some of my best friends together. For those reasons and so many more, I have so much to thank you for.

First things first, big shout out to my teams for providing me with basically my entire wardrobe. Sweatshirts, t-shirts and fleeces adorned with my favorite teams and my favorite town that I can rep around campus (almost every day) will forever be my favorite fashion statement.

Thank you for making me so proud of my high school. Whether it was a not-so-hot or killer season, participating in a fan section was one of the highlights of my high school experience. It all started with an epic Facebook post that summarized the impending slaughter that was undoubtedly to take place at 6 in the gym or at 4 on the turf. With everyone adorned in the fan-favorite USA spirit, going to games with my friends and other students instilled in me such a pride in my school and sports teams. These games, especially the ones against rival teams, brought so many students together in a way that nothing else could.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to lead. Being large and in charge, whether due to seniority or captainship, does a lot for a person. Being a captain gave me a confidence around my teammates and a sense of power that made all of the hours and seasons of practice from years before so worth it. From Senior Day to enjoying some of the simple privileges of being the oldest on a team, the final senior season of a sport reminded me how much I loved it and all the people I played with. The started-from-the-bottom-now-we-here effect was real, and it made my senior year amazing.

Most importantly, thank you for introducing me to some of my closest friends. My teams allowed me to meet people I otherwise might not have been able to, some younger and some older than me, who provide me with endless hours of entertainment and updates of hometown news. They were there through every big win, hard loss or injury, but even more so, the support and fun these friends provided for each other outside of practice and offseason is why I love them so much. The people and coaches who I met through the athletic programs at my high school are the ones who make it so exciting to return to my hometown, and I am so grateful for them and this community.

So a quick but well deserved shout out to all of my teams. It’s so awesome to check in on you guys and see all of the success you have achieved. Keep doing Mendham proud.

- Julia

P.S.-- Props to you for keeping me in shape. You truly are the real MVP.