An Open Letter To Georgia FBLA

An Open Letter To Georgia FBLA

Thank you for everything you have given me.
169

Dear Georgia FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America),

Thank you for everything you have done for me.

When I first joined your ranks, I was a scared freshman. I was overwhelmed by high school, unsure where I fit and had a vague interest in business from a purely monetary perspective, not knowing at all who I even wanted to be. I was nervous because I wanted to make more friends than middle school and excited because I had heard so much about you. So I joined at club fair, paid my money and attended the first meeting.

In true freshman style, I not only attended every meeting (our chapter had a banquet that year, and I got a recognition for that punctuality!) but was guilted into competing. I dubiously entered my social media campaign project in, and the rest was history. Even though I placed a lonely fifth — which I saw via live stream (yeah, I actually did live stream the awards) - just the act of doing all of this had more of an impact on me than I ever could imagine. And it didn't even bother me so badly that I was one spot away from nationals; I was proud of how far I had managed to get on my own, and I never looked back.

This weekend, I attended my very last state leadership conference. I have competed all four years, and, for the second time, my team qualified for Nationals this year. I am now chapter co-president and helped one of my vice presidents and close friends run for state president as his campaign manager (he is now secretary). As I sat in the awards, surrounded by people I respect and am excited to see thrive, it hit me again how much I owe to this organization.

The first time I realized that FBLA had changed me was at the beginning of this year, struggling to find the words to convince new freshmen to join. Yet it wasn't a struggle; I have become more confident, much more articulate, organized and prepared to take initiative because of FBLA. I have delved into my interests in hospitality and business administration deep enough to place top-two in the state without needing to take an actual class, and the problem-solving ability that I have acquired through completing these case studies will serve me for the rest of my life.

But more so than competitions, I have gotten to know people at my school. I can now small-talk with people and am not crippled by anxiety when I need to give a presentation. I believe that I can think on my feet and respond in high-pressure situations. I can make decisions that otherwise I would have delegated or deferred to others to resolve. I have become a leader, confident and capable.

Although business may or may not be where my interests lie, the knowledge I now have about the world and myself have made my time in FBLA not just worthwhile but beautiful. In hindsight, the only thing I would change would be the effort I gave to competitions — because winning is fun.

We always joke that being former members of FBLA brings people together and forms a bridge where there was once a chasm. Yet I genuinely know that when I find someone in the future who can tell me that they were once a member of FBLA, I will have a lot to say to them, and we will have a unique connection from then on.

Thank you again for the personal growth, life lessons and fun memories.

A Graduating Senior.