An Open Letter To A Friend Who I Won't See For A Year

To whom it may concern:

Wow. What a formal title... but accurate, considering I probably won't be seeing you for an entire year. Just as I am readjusting to life in the states, you're leaving the states to go to a beautiful town in Europe and see things you could never even imagine yourself seeing. You will come back a changed person. My only worry is that it will have been a year since we've actually seen each other, and a lot changes throughout the course of a year.

I mean, sure there is Skype, and Whatsapp, and of course Snapchat (gotta keep that streak going strong!). But nothing is the same as being in the same room with you, just talking or even just being. I missed your presence more than words can say when I was in Europe, and now here you are leaving to experience what I have experienced in an all too different way. I don't make friends very well, and it takes me a while to find a really good friend, but honestly I think I hit the jackpot with you. Sometimes you're the only one who will appreciate that meme I found on Facebook or Reddit or understand those obscure pop culture references I make. And sure I have made some awesome friends out of my semester abroad, and I know you will too -- but I worry that we will grow apart.

What makes it scary, at least to me, is that we haven't been apart this long since before we met. And what's worse is that we live in completely different states so unless we are in university, we hardly see each other as it is. I am afraid of losing you. You are one of the most cherished friends I have ever met, and I am sure I've told you countless times, but it deserves one more time. I have fallen in love with you and our friendship; you will soon learn in a philosophy class that Aristotle's view on the importance of friendship includes the longing to be with each other. Just as I long to spend time with you.

It's strange that we find ourselves in this position, waltzing in and out of friendships, finding out who we "fit" with especially in our young adult lives, and it doesn't help that we are also finding out who exactly we are. Oftentimes friends help us with this part of ourselves and they make us feel comfortable. Without my friends, without you around me, sometimes I feel exposed, like I am naked without you there being my support. Knowing that you're six hours behind me with the time difference reminds me that if I need you at a certain time of day, it will be harder to reach you. All of that's okay though, because it causes each and every one of us to grow.

So as you go on this adventure to Europe, "say you'll remember me...." And for all that is good and holy, PLEASE don't forget about me.

Sincerely,

Your Friend in the States