An Open Letter To My Best Friend Who Lost A Parent

Because now you have world's best guardian angel

28648
The World Lyrics

Dear Best Friend,

Since the time of playing with Barbie dolls, it has always been me and you taking on life together. We had it pretty easy, for years our biggest concerns were things like "Does this outfit look cute on me?" or "Does he like me?" That is, until recently, when we hit a road block when your amazing father passed away.

I wish I had a way to snap my fingers and make the pain go away, a way to snap my fingers and bring him back, but unfortunately, I don't. I've hated having to watch you go through this. I wouldn't wish it on the world, but especially I wouldn't wish it on you. Death sucks. And that's the truth. But you will get through this. And that's the truth.

I know it's terrifying to think about a future where you don't have your dad around the house to fix things or to come home to him sitting in the living room chair cracking a joke. But I also know that your dad is definitely in heaven watching over us, laughing at all the hilarious things on earth, and causing some trouble up there. Just know your dad is with you every single day, even if he can't be here physically.

I can't imagine how surreal this must have all felt to you, like you're in some weird dream that you can't wake up from. And I know that eventually the hard realization that this nightmare is in fact not a dream will really sink in, and I'll be there to comfort you and hold you while you cry when it does.

I would bet that losing a parent probably feels like you lost an irreplaceable piece of yourself, and of course, an irreplaceable piece of your family and that you may struggle to find that piece of yourself for awhile.

However, death and tragic moments like these put everything into perspective and really bring people closer. After a loved one dies you start to think about the materialistic, first-world problems that you used to stress over like "Will this really matter in the long run?" After someone close to you dies, you start to hug your loved ones a little tighter. I know we have talked about the fact that this horrific situation has made us closer than we have ever been in our over ten years of best friendship.

So just remember, even though it hurts now, remember that "Time heals everything." I know that time will never replace your dad, but it'll help you realize that he is always with you no matter how long it has been.

Even when it does hurt, just know I'm only just a phone call or Facetime away to comfort you when we can't be together. Love you with all my heart and I know your dad loves you even more than I could ever try to.

Love,

Your Best Friend