An Open Letter To My Facebook Friend

An Open Letter To My Facebook Friend

Yes, you...

22
An Open Letter To My Facebook Friend

If you’re reading this, then you likely fall into the category of friend, family, follower, or maybe even a passerby who stumbled onto this by accident. Regardless of your relationship to me or the person who helped this article reach you, I have some very important things to tell you - things that will hopefully bridge this disparaging chasm between us. Before diving in, please allow me to address just one thing. You may not agree with some of the things I’m about to say.

That's okay!

I want nothing more in this world then for someone to disagree with me and challenge my ways of thinking with rational responses and cohesive arguments. I do not expect readers to be fueled by the same fire which courses through my veins, but I hope that they walk away feeling like they’ve learned something valuable. I hope you turn red in the face with passion and click that share button with unparalleled dedication. I have many hopes and expectations for you, Facebook Friend, but I leave the task of rising to the challenge in your capable hands.

1. Addressing The Elephant In The Room

If I haven’t lost you by now, then you’ve strapped in for a captivating read, and I plan to deliver. To begin, let’s try and take a shot at that elephant who refuses to give up center stage in our lives. Yes, Facebook Friend, I’m talking about him, and her, and them, and that individual of questionable tastes and life decisions way over in the corner. They’re just the worst, aren’t they? Why should we have to bear witness to the struggles that have befallen them? Why should they feel entitled to our affection? Our time? Our money? What have they done to merit us considering them anything other than a grievance to be tallied, filed, and stored in a long list of daily infringements in our day? Right?

Wrong

Not one person in this world is beneath you! We are all lost in life, but some are more lost than others. Some lose their way, falling so low that even the thought of normalcy seems out of reach. These individuals torture themselves day and night, and sometimes - excuse my bluntness - they just break. When you see these men and women, don’t bat your eyes. Don’t scoff. Don’t look at them as pathetic or weak or uncaring. If you can lend a hand, then do so. If you can lend an ear, do so. If you can lend companionship, however brief, then stop, breathe, and do so.

Others find a rhythm that keeps them content, hanging on by the torn and shriveled threads of hope and devotion and fear… yes, fear is a very motivating force in our lives. These individuals make it work the only way they know how, and our job is not to judge or criticize; no, our job is to watch, learn, and be thankful for the chance to learn something from their story. Everyone you meet in your life has something valuable to teach you, something that will enrich your story in ways you will never understand if you don’t give them the chance. If you choose to continue walking when they reach out for you, then you are depriving yourself of an experience that may have otherwise helped push you to be a better and more beautiful version of yourself.

2. The Root Of All Evil

If there is one thing I wish I could grab hold of and shred to small, irreparable pieces… It would be pride. Let me be clear, pride can be an amazing thing. It can emblazon us with confidence and help us charter a path forward in life. It can fill our hearts with joy as we look at something we've accomplished, perhaps someone we've created and shaped over many long and arduous years into an astonishing young woman or man (thanks Mom and Dad) of unfettered potential. There are many things pride can do for us, but it can also be a disease. Pride can become an epidemic of unmatched proportions.

I’m sure you or someone you know has “taken pride” in some defining characteristic about yourselves. Maybe you’re a relatively outspoken individual (I’m sure I’ll be reading your commentary soon enough) who “prides” yourself in a lack of filter and raw honesty. Trust me, it’s as commonplace as every other quirk out there. This is great, I’m glad you’re honest. That is, until the pride you have in this quirk about yourself blinds you to the damage you inflict on those who aren’t prepared to hear your truth. And let me clear, the truth you see is your truth and yours alone. We witness events and form opinions all the time, but what we see is inflated and compressed by our perspective, our experience, and our story. It is essential you understand that what you see as truth is nothing but a fabrication to someone else. Stop allowing pride to stand in the way of your happiness.

3. Accepting What We Do Not Understand

The world is changing. Somewhere deep in the recesses of your mind, even you must acknowledge that our world is changing. We, the people, shared inhabitants of the land beneath our feet, are evolving with the times. Technology is uniting every unique aspect of humanity and demonstrating different ways of living our lives. You have a right to your thoughts, to see something and vehemently disagree, but you do not get to pass judgment on what you don’t understand or agree with. Unless someone’s lifestyle is endangering the life of another or themselves (a few exceptions - barring circumstance), your job is simply to appreciate that he, and her, and them, and that individual of questionable tastes and life decisions way over in the corner have found a way to make it work the only way they know how.

These are the three principles that I choose to live by. I’ve faltered in my path many times, and you will too. Creating a positive force of change in the world is not easy, but it’s worth every ounce of willpower you can spare. I guarantee someone, anyone, will be thankful for your sacrifice, your companionship, and your humanity.

With love,

Your Facebook Friend