An Open Letter To Content Creators

An Open Letter To Content Creators

Stop throwing away this opportunity.
14

Hey content creators,

I know this is kind of weird, a content creator writing articles to content creators but it's time to be real. We work so hard to get people to listen to us, we get an email every time we post something about how best to get people to read our articles. But what are we trying to get out of this? Views? Popularity? A following? What about an actual conversation?

We work so hard as the younger generation to get people to listen to us. They think we're young and stupid and that we have no idea what the world is really like. Here we are writing 500+ words a week on anything that's on our mind to help someone reading our articles understand our point of view and what do we write? Articles about what kind of cookie our major is and what your Starbucks order says about you. We have this great opportunity to have a conversation about the things that really matter. Tell your readers how you really feel about the events controlling the news. Tell the world your experience with controversial topics. Have a unique view on something trending? WRITE ABOUT IT.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't write something serious every week and I don't think you should either. If you're all serious all the time, people tend to stop listening. To be honest, not everything deserves a reaction in the form of an article but, if you plan to write one serious article every 2 weeks or even once a month we would be in such a better place. Your opinions are like no one else's and the fact that you are here, writing for Odyssey, means you want to share them to some extent.

Millennials are a new generation with a new generation of ideas. They swear we don't even have opinions but I see you all posting photos at the Women's March, meeting to talk about the repeal of DACA, literally helping Dreamers pay their renewal fees. We are fighting every day for the ones we love and the causes we care about so let's tell them our reality. Prove to them that we matter, we know what we're talking about and we will do something about it.

You took the first step, you're here! Don't stop now!