An Open Letter To My College Roommate

An Open Letter To My College Roommate

Thank you, I'm sorry, I love you.

286
An Open Letter To My College Roommate
Darcy Anderson

First off, I want to say thank you. Thank you for picking “random selection” on your residence life portal. Thank you for accepting me for me when we first met. Thank you for putting up with me and my crazy antics and letting me vent to you until 3 a.m. multiple times.

Thank you for being an awesome roommate and the perfect person to live with. Thank you for the mornings we woke each other up for early classes, the lunches we shared together, and for the silent and peaceful moments when we laid on our beds doing nothing.

Thank you for the freshman year snow adventures when we had a huge snowball fight with the baseball players and “painted” Slenderman on Heth Hall. Thank you for the sophomore year emotional adventures when I changed my major and you were there to support me.

Thank you for the junior year vents where we would just sit in the hallway talking about random stuff. Thank you for the senior year crazy times where you mixed drinks and I sang terrible children’s songs. Thank you for the post-graduate waitress adventures where you gave me a solution to every weird/rude/awkward/stressful thing that happened to me at work.

Thank you for putting up with my boyfriend and even looking out for him when I could not. Thank you for letting me vent about him to you and giving me good advice. Thank you for keeping him safe in Ireland and not letting him eat anything poisonous or fall out of a tree or castle wall.

Next, I want to say I’m sorry. I’m sorry for all the times I’ve made you mad. I’m sorry for the fights we have had over silly things like dishes.

I’m sorry for telling you about all my problems and complaining when they were never yours to deal with. I’m sorry for not always being there or having the perfect thing to say when you were going through your own problems.

I’m sorry for going a different path now and looking toward a future without you. I’m sorry for putting chocolate sauce in your wine and for not letting you get another dog.

I’m sorry for not letting you know sooner how much you mean to me.

Finally, I want to say I love you. I love that you have picked me each year to continue living with. I love you for your joy and that you know how to be serious when needed. I love watching you change and mature every year.

I love how open you are with your opinions and that you don’t judge me when mine don’t match with yours. I love you for how strong you are when it comes to battling yourself every day and remaining positive on the outside.

I love you and I’m proud of the woman you have become.

I know that we still have a few more months of living with each other, but it feels like the end of an era. You will always be known as the person I learned to share a room and later an apartment with. Thank you for the amazing past four and a half years, I’m sorry to be ending it, and I will always love you for being you.

Love, your forever roommate