An Open Letter To Closeted LGBTQ+ Individuals

You've made it this far and I am so proud of you!
118

You are so strong! You have made it this far and I am so proud of you! Take it from someone who has been in your shoes, I know how hard it is. I know you feel like what you're feeling is wrong. I know you think the whole world is against you. I know you're scared. But you are right where you're supposed to be, you made it this far, and I am so proud of you.

It is hard. I want you to know your feelings are real and it is okay to feel them. It is hard to come to terms with who you are. it is even harder to tell the people closest to you that you're entirely different than they think. It's hard and terrifying to imagine walking out into the world and being your true vulnerable self. But you have made it this far and I am so proud of you!

I know you feel like what you're feeling is wrong. You grow up seeing heterosexual couples on every movie, every TV show, every book, and hearing about them in every song. Probably all your family members are straight and so are all your friends. So what's wrong with you? I'll tell you what: NOTHING. There is nothing wrong with feeling the way you're feeling. It is normal and more people than you think have the same feelings. Don't suppress them. Don't ignore them. Trust you heart. You made it this far and I am so proud of you!

I know you think the whole world is against you. If you're old enough, you might remember when gay marriage wasn't even legal. If not, I'm sure you've heard about the tragedies like Orlando. People are killed everyday for who they chose to love. So it's okay to think that the world isn't on your side. But you also have to think about the LGBT+ community fighting every day for equality. Remember those before you who fought for gay marriage and saw it become a reality. Think about those who were just as scared as you but are now happy with who they are. Think about the future. You have made it this far and I am so proud of you!

I know you're scared. This world is a scary place. You don't even know if the family who has loved you since day 1 will continue to stand by your side. You don't know if your friends will see you the same. But you also don't know if you'll be showered with love and support. You don't know if the love of your life is just waiting for you. You don't know what the 'out' life has in store for you! Take your time and take a breath. There is no direct path to follow. Do what you can and take it day by day. You have made it this far and I am so immensely and incredibly proud of you!