To Every Blood Donation Virgin, In A Time Of Crisis

Who would volunteer a pint of blood anyway?

123

I know that donating blood looks incredibly scary. I mean, a needle taking a pint of your blood? Who on earth would volunteer for something like that?

Well, I would! I was once scared of donating and didn't know just how much my blood would help others. I thought shortages could never happen, I mean, it is just blood.

One day, my high school was having a blood drive and I decided to give it a shot. I had a lot of friends who were participating, so I thought why not?

That decision changed my life, and helped save many, many others.

Did you know that one blood donation can save up to three lives? Talk about being a hero! There is also no harm done to you or your body. According to the American Red Cross, it takes about 4-6 weeks for a person's body to replace the blood that was given during a donation. While you may feel a little glum directly after your donation, you will feel good as new in a matter of minutes! Not to mention, snacks are always provided. Not only do you save lives, but you get to refuel on cookies? Sounds like a win-win.

Another reason I used to refrain from donating was that I didn't think that my blood type was rare. I figured that if people with my same blood type are donating, then why did I need to? Over my donations, I have learned that someone, somewhere always needs blood. This applies to all types. If a person has a common blood type, think about how often that blood is needed!

You can never have enough blood ready to go!

Natural disasters and times of crisis are among us, and they are causing HUGE shortages. This isn't going to stop anytime soon. The hurricanes and mass shootings we have seen recently are prime examples; however, car crashes and other accidents are always prevalent. The American Red Cross reports that a single car crash victim can require up to 100 pints of blood! It is also reported that approximately 40,000 pints of blood used each day.

The best part of all is that it only takes about an hour to donate and it isn't very painful at all! Medical professionals are always watching and helping you through the donation process. They are always doing their best to talk you through your appointment. If you are truly worried about the pain, my personal advice is to just look away when the nurse is inserting or removing the needle. After looking away, you will feel a slight pinch, and you will be on your way to saving a life (or 3)!

If you can handle a bee sting, a tattoo, or an April's Fool's Day pinch, you can handle a blood donation, I promise!

As you can see, there is nothing to be afraid of. Please consider the overwhelming benefits of donating blood, and make your appointment today!

For more information, to find a blood drive near you, or to make an appointment, please visit the American Red Cross website! Find it below:

Donate Blood