An Open Letter To My Best Friend Who Is Transferring

Even though I have already told you a million times, congratulations and best of luck for the future.

44
Coyote Student News

Dear best friend,

This year of college has been especially stressful for you. Not only did you have to keep up with your classes, but you also had to do something you never imagined you would have to do again — apply to a different undergrad school. Even though there have been days where the workload seemed to be too much, you continued to give all of it your best effort and it has paid off. I could not be more proud of you for all the hard work you have put into this semester.

Additionally, I admire you for having the ability to walk away from a school that didn’t give you everything you wanted. It is very easy to be someone who takes the fate of being miserable at their college because they do not want to go through with the entire college application process a second time. However, you made the decision to find a school that works better for you. It was definitely the best thing you could have done for yourself and your new home is going to treat you well.

Transferring is not easy, as it needs to be done when your professors are throwing a ton of work at you on top of all the applications you need to fill out. You have to find all new letters of recommendation, rewrite your essays and come up with new hours of community service while simultaneously balancing tests and papers for your regular classes. I can barely handle just the latter, and the fact that you were able to accomplish both is something you should be proud of.

After many tears and even more anxious nights of waiting for letters of acceptance, you finally found out that you will be able to attend your dream school next semester. To say you deserve this would be an understatement and I am probably almost as happy for you as your mother is. I have already started planning my trip to come and see you, including checking plane ticket prices and weeks where I have multiple days off in a row. Even though I am sad you are going to be even farther away, I am just as pumped to see your new campus.

Well, you did it. Now it is time to relax and get excited. In a few months you will be starting a whole new life with new people in a different environment that has already proven to be more suitable for your personality, major and everything else in between. And while you may miss the friends you made at your old school, it will only be a matter of time before you get to see them again.

You have been given the gift of being able to start over, so embrace it. Even though I have already told you a million times, congratulations and best of luck for the future. I love you so much!

XOXO,

Your best friend who misses you already