An Open Letter To Anyone With A Broken Heart
popular

I promise you'll be OK.

20187

Bad people deserve whatever consequence is handed to them, but never in a million years would I wish heartbreak on anybody. Love these days has turned into giving someone your all and praying to God that they don't walk away with it. No one deserves to feel so low about themselves, or a relationship, in their life.

For anyone who has a broken heart still, or anyone who just got out of a relationship that ended badly, I'm sorry it happened, but I promise that you will be OK. I promise that there will be that one person who walks into your life and gives you the entire world that you deserve. I promise that you won't grow into the person who is unhappy but owns 23 dogs (despite my love for dogs, I'd rather be married and own like three).

Some of you reading this may not believe that and that's OK. I know what it's like to hear the "trust me, I'm different from other guys" story and the "I do care about you, this isn't just because I and my girlfriend just ended" sob story. You're better than a rebound and I promise you once you believe that yourself, things will start looking up for you too.

I recently confided in a close friend because I was thinking "if I'm so great like my mom and my friends tell me, why am I just being looked at as a piece of meat?" He's honestly the only guy I trust these days (frankly because no other guy will tell me the truth like he does) and what he said to me was perfect and helped me so much:

"So I'm focused on me. I am the best person for me. No woman will have me if she can't treat me better than I can. And no man should have you if he can't treat you better than you."

Those three sentences hit me in the heart harder than anything has in my 19 years of existence. Before you love someone else you have to love yourself. Take time out of the day to appreciate yourself and appreciate the woman or man you have become (a HUGE middle finger to anyone who has ever hurt you because he or she, frankly, does not deserve you). If no one, right now, can treat you better than you treat yourself, why even be with them? Also, notice how he said "man" and "woman," no person labeled boy or girl will be mature enough to be in a relationship when we're almost all adults here. A 19-year-old guy who people refer to as a boy will make compromises or show you how you deserve the world, I promise you that.

Another friend once told me that it's OK to feel hurt and it's OK to be broken. But it's not OK to sit around and consistently feel sorry for myself. The best revenge after someone lets you go is to show them how you don't need them anymore. You really don't. If someone once said "I love you" and could walk away so easily from you, then they don't deserve you and they don't deserve the person you will become in the future. If you can't handle the bad times then they don't deserve the good.

Almost every girl these days is waiting for the "Trust me, I'm different from other guys" story and the actions not following up (you too guys!). It's disappointing to see how feelings are pushed aside and actual communication doesn't exist anymore.

Remember, you are a beautiful person. Inside and out. If someone doesn't bring out the best version of you then it is their loss, not yours.

Sincerely,

Someone who has been there before.