Don't Wear A Band Tee Unless You Actually Know The Band

Spoiler alert: the reason that band shirts look cool is that the bands actually ARE cool. Maybe you should give them a good listen before you decide to represent them.

853

Band t-shirts have become one of the most popular trends for people to wear when they want to be lazy but still look cool. I'm sure we all can think of at least one person at this school that partakes in this activity. These people may be considered posers or just clueless. The majority of the time, those wearing them do not know any songs of the band. In fact, some people don't even know it is a band that they are representing! I find it almost insulting to the band itself because they don't appreciate their music or art on the shirt.

Think about it: you go to a concert to see your favorite band playing their new album on tour, so you know you're going to buy a t-shirt to capture this iconic day. You wear the shirt the day after to represent the band and the concert last night; therefore, you are somewhat looking forward to seeing another fan sporting the same merchandise as you. I don't know about you, but when I meet someone with the same music taste as me, we have an ultimate bond already just because of that. Music is a very special part of my life, and it's really cool and special to meet people who like the same genres or artists like you.

I personally enjoy classic rock music in which back then, bands came out with some of the coolest looking shirts known to this date; for example, The Grateful Dead. My dad is a huge fan and would follow them on tour to see their shows. As expected, he raised me with their music, and I am so thankful to appreciate this band although I never got to see Jerry, the main singer. However, an extended form of the band called Dead and Company was created to carry on the music that so many people love.

One out of the many Grateful Dead songs, they play, "The Music Never Stopped," which perfectly describes how Dead and Company are carrying on the legacy of this unforgettable and legendary band. Dead and Company have been on tour with John Mayer who plays Jerry Garcia's vocals with Bob Weir, and I am so fortunate to have seen them play over the past few years!

My father has collected a few vintage Grateful Dead shirts over the years in which he has thoughtfully passed down to me. This band is very near and dear to my heart, so whenever I see someone wearing a Grateful Dead shirt, I can't help but feel an automatic connection and long to talk to them about music. However, it is very frustrating and sad to hear that person say something like, "oh, I didn't even know this was a band. I just thought it looked cool." Spoiler alert: the reason that band shirts look cool is that the bands actually are cool. Maybe you should give them a good listen before you decide to represent them.