8 Reasons Why Online Classes Are The Way To Go

Taking online classes is a great way to keep a routine during your summer break.

240
Darby Webb

I personally love online classes. Going to a college of 50,000+ students means sharing a classroom with hundreds of students sometimes. When taking online classes, your classroom is composed of your comfy bedroom, your computer, (maybe) your dog, and you, of course.

1. You Get To Sleep In, Most Of The Time.

Taking online classes means that you determine your own schedule which can be great for students who already have a solid routine. I love taking online classes because it means that I can watch lectures from home which is something you can't do with traditional classes, especially if your professor takes attendance (boo, what a drag). This means, obviously, that you can sleep in. Who wouldn't want that?

2. You Can Be A Full-Time Student Without Sitting In A Classroom All Day.

You can absolutely take 12 credits online which would make you a full-time student. I usually take all online courses during the summer because it means one thing: FREEDOM! Sure, online classes still require you to do lots of work, but at least you won't be stuck in a classroom. I love having the freedom to complete classwork outside of class.

3. Taking Online Classes Opens Time For Other Things.

Online classes are also particularly great because you won't have strict, segmented blocks of time dedicated to sitting in a classroom. For me, this means that I can dedicate time to an internship or a job. I'm doing just this over the summer: I will be taking a few online classes to keep working on my degree, but to also free up time for my summer internship.

4. You Can Work From Your Sweet, Sweet Bed.

I know it is a horrible habit and practice to work from your bed, but I love it. For me, there is no better way to complete assignments than in my pajamas, from bed. This also sets me up for some prime naps.

5. You Can Work Ahead, And Get A LOT Done.

If you are anything like me, you like to work as far ahead as possible in order to keep your schedule tangle-free. As opposed to traditional courses, online courses usually have all of the assignments unlocked and ready for you to work on. I like to grind out upcoming assignments because it makes me feel both productive and less stressed. If you are one to postpone things, online classes may not be for you. However, if you like to get ahead and fly through assignments, then online classes may be the way to go.

6. You Can Get Out Of Awful Classes Like Public Speaking.

Wait, you can take public speaking online? YES. I have to take public speaking as a requirement for my major, but you won't be watching me awkwardly give a speech in a classroom. Instead, I'll be submitting audio files online. I can write and speak, but I will not be suffering through high school speech class 2.0.

7. You Can Even Go Back To Your Hometown, If You Want.

Lots of people who go to my school want to go home during the school year. Personally, I love Gainesville and would like to stay here year-round. However, by taking online courses, you have the freedom to go home or stay if you'd like. Traditional courses tether you to your campus, but online courses let you run wild. You can work from ANYWHERE.

8. You Can Add Online Courses To Supplement Your Traditional Schedule.

Even if you aren't a huge fan of online classes, you can add a few to add some more credits to your schedule. I added an online class to my spring schedule to add some more credits without adding hours spent at school. I am taking 17 credits now, but you wouldn't know it. I am not on campus super often, but rather working comfortably from home. If you can't fit all your courses into a traditional schedule, consider taking one or two online to free yourself up a bit. Trust me, you'll be able to take a breath.