One Tree Hill is a show that most people have binge watched at least once by now, and if you haven't then I would definitely recommend it. While it is full of drama and some unrealistic scenarios (what show isn't?), it has a way of being relatable to people of all ages and teaching each of us life lessons. Here are some of the best quotes from the series:
1. "Every once in a while, people step up, they rise above themselves. Sometimes they surprise you and sometimes they fall short. Life is funny sometimes. It can push pretty hard, but if you look close enough, you can find hope in the words of children, in the bars of the song and in the eyes of someone you love. And if you're lucky, if you're the luckiest person on this entire plant, the person you love decides to love you back."
This is a very popular quote from the show, one that made all teenagers want to find their own Nathan and Haley relationship. It is true though, if the person that you're in love with loves you back you are lucky. Cherish that relationship.
2. "At this moment there are 6,470,818,671 people in the world. Some are running scared. Some are coming home. Some tell lies to make it through the day. Others are just now facing the truth. Some are evil men, at war with good. And some are good, struggling with evil. Six billion people in the world. Six billion souls. And sometimes - all you need is one."
There are now closer to 8 billion people in the world, but this quote still stands. When you find the right person, those other billions of people don't seem to matter as much.
3. "Have you ever wondered what marks our time here? If one life can really make an impact on the world...or if the choices we make matter? I believe they do. And I believe that one man can change many lives. For better...or worse."
A different version of you exists in the lives of every single person you've come into contact with. You're not the same person to your dad as you are to your sister or grandmother or the stranger you held the door for. You have the ability to have a positive or negative effect on someone's life. I believe that one person can make an impact on the world based off of their impact on others.
4. "There is no shame in being afraid. Hell, we're all afraid. What you've got to do is figure out what you're afraid of. Because when you put a face on it, you can beat it. Or better yet, you can use it."
When it comes to facing your fears, it can definitely be difficult. But you can't live in fear. If you've ever faced a fear, you know that feeling of adrenaline and excitement once you've done something you were afraid of. So why not face your fears? What's the worst that could happen?
5. "Happiness comes in many forms- in the company of good friends, in the feeling you get when you make someone else's dream come true, or in the promise of hope renewed. It's okay to let yourself be happy because you never know how fleeting that happiness might be."
Happiness is hard for some people. Sometimes instead of allowing ourselves to be happy, we compare ourselves to others and give ourselves reasons not to be happy. But that's not what you, or anyone deserves. You deserve to be happy, so allow yourself to enjoy the moment before it passes.
6. "The hardest part of saying goodbye is having to do it again every single day."
This quote really hit home for me because whether it's moving away to college, going through a break-up, or facing someone's death, goodbyes are never easy. It's not only about the initial goodbye, it's about saying goodbye to all the things you can no longer do with that person and having to learn how to go through your day filling the void that person once filled.
7. "Truth is still absolute. Believe that. Even when that truth is hard and cold, and more painful than you've ever imagined. And even when truth is more cruel than any lie."
The truth hurts, everybody knows that. But in the end, the truth will always help you, whereas a lie will continue to mislead you.
8. "Every day we ignore how completely broken this world is and we tell ourselves it's all going to be okay, you're gonna be okay. But it's not okay. And once you know that, there's no going back."
It's a tough realization to face the fact that things aren't as great as you thought they were. It's like when you're a teenager and all of a sudden your parents are asking you what you want for Christmas rather than what you're going to ask Santa for. You're not really sure when you grew up, but at some point it just happened.
9. "We spend so much time wanting, pursuing, wishing. But ambition is good, chasing things with integrity is good, dreaming. If you had a friend you knew you'd never see again, what would you say? If you could do one last thing for someone you love, what would it be? Say it. Do it. Don't wait. Nothing lasts forever. Make a wish and place it in your heart. Anything you want, everything you want. Do you have it? Good. Now believe it can come true. You never know where the next miracle is going to come form, the next memory, the next smile, the next wish come true. But if you believe that it's right around the corner, you open your heart and mind to the possibility of it, to the certainty of it, you might just get the thing you're wishing for. The world is full of magic. You just have to believe in it. So make your wish. Do you have it? Good. Now believe in it with all your heart."
Living in the moment is just as important as believing in yourself. If your will is strong enough, you can accomplish anything. When you truly want something, there will be no excuse that is good enough to stop you.
10. "You can choose to blame your circumstances on fate or bad luck or bad choices. Or you can fight back. Things aren't always going to be fair in the real world. That's just the way it is. But for the most part, you get what you give. The rest of your life is being shaped right now. With the dreams you chase, the choices you make, and the person you decide to be. The rest of your life is a long time. And the rest of your life starts right now."
When things go wrong, our initial action is to blame anyone but ourselves. However, you have the power to create change. If you have a bad day don't blame it on the weather or the guy that cut you off in the parking lot. Take a deep breath and decide that instead of having a bad day, you're going to make it a good one. Don't let a single bad moment turn into a bad day.
These quotes carry a lot of meaning, but the meaning that you personally find within them is what means the most. It's about the meaning that you create for these quotes and what you decide to do with what you've just taken the time to read. Are you inspired? Happy? Ready to make a change?