One's Final Goodbye

One's Final Goodbye

A look at a song with much deeper meaning.

16
One's Final Goodbye
Deviantart.com

The song “Fiction” by Avenged Sevenfold is, in my opinion, a very beautiful song. Anyone hearing it for the first time would most likely agree, while also noting its eerie vibe. The song actually has a rather dark meaning/story behind it. Looking at the lyrics, it becomes pretty clear that it's about someone who is about to take their own life, and this song is pretty much their suicide note left behind for loved ones.

“Now I think I understand
How this world can overcome a man
Like a friend we saw it through
In the end I gave my life for you
Gave you all I had to give
Found a place for me to rest my head
While I may be hard to find
Heard there's peace just on the other side”

While this song is dark in meaning, it is done so in a very peaceful manner. In the first two verses here, the person starts by revealing that there's something major going on in their life that they want to get away from, or simple can't deal with anymore. The second verse in particular shows the person explaining that suicide is their best way out and is what they really want.

“Not that I could
Nor that I would
Let it burn
Under my skin
Let it burn”

The chorus here more than likely the person’s reason for wanting to take their own life. It can be interpreted either literally, or metaphorically. Either way, it seems as though the writer wants to end it all before something terrible happens… Possibly even again.

“Left this life to set me free
Took a piece of you inside of me
All this hurt can finally fade
Promise me you'll never feel afraid”

In the third verse here, the person appears to have followed through with thier actions, and seems to be happy and at peace because of it. They are also trying to explain to loved ones that this was pretty much his/her best option of dealing with the situation, and that he/she wanted it to happen. The second line is the person telling the ones close to him that they will always be with him/her, even after crossing over.

“I hope it's worth it, here on the highway, yeah
I know you'll find your own way when I'm not with you
So tell everybody, the ones who walk beside me, yeah
I hope you'll find your own way when I'm not with you tonight”

This closing verse is the person attempting to comfort anyone who may be impacted by their decision. They're trying to say that even though they won't be around anymore, they want anyone affected to not have mourn for him/her because he/she isn't suffering anymore and is right they want to be.

Now here's where the story behind the song becomes significant. The song was initially titled “Death” and was written by the drummer of the band, Jimmy “The Rev” Sullivan, calling it his masterpiece. After completing it, he handed it to the band saying “That's it, that's the last song for this record.” Three days later, on December 28, 2009, Jimmy was found dead in his home at the age of 29. The cause of death was determined to be from an overdose of painkillers and alcohol. Jimmy had always suffered from cardiomegaly, an enlarged heart (which is probably what the chorus is describing), and was told he wouldn't live past 30. His death was never officially classified as a suicide, but many believe that it was indeed his intention.

I ask you to go back and read over the lyrics again and apply all of this to this song.

What's your opinion? Was this his final goodbye?