A Year With Odyssey

A Year With Odyssey

With Odyssey, I've found my voice. One that extends far beyond the company's mission to give a voice to a censored generation.

23
A Year With Odyssey
The Confetti Bar

When I was 14 years old, I turned to literature and writing, as I usually did, to get me through a hard place in my life.

When I was 15 years old, I purchased my first DSLR camera with the hopes of incorporating my passion of reading and writing with my newfound passion for photography; I wanted to be a photojournalist.

When I was 16 years old, my continued love of literature and the writing process grew, causing me to drop the “photo” from “photojournalist.” I had a new dream, I wanted to be a journalist, so, I began to write. For the first time in my life, I felt passionate about something and knew that this passion would be the one to carry me through the rest of my life.

When I was 17 years old, my life irrevocably changed. My dream came true.

Writing has always made me feel like I had a purpose in this world. I knew that despite anything that life would throw at me, writing was permanent—it was here to stay.

I knew this on March 28, 2016, when I took a chance and applied for Odyssey at Rhode Island College.

I knew this on March 29, 2016, when I got the phone call that my application had been accepted. When I found out that I was a founding content creator for Odyssey at Rhode Island College.

I knew this on March 29, 2016, when I was asked to be the Editor-in-Chief of this newly-founded community. A position that I, at the time, politely declined—I was 17 years old. I didn’t feel like I was old enough, nor experienced enough, to take on such a vital role.

I knew this on March 30, 2016, when I settled into my role as the Contributing Editor for Odyssey at Rhode Island College.

I knew this on April 4, 2016, when I published my very first article—one that went viral in my small state of Rhode Island.

I knew this on August 10, 2016, when I stepped up as Editor-in-Chief of my community.

I knew this on March 22, 2017, when I wrote this article, just one week shy of the date that changed my life and my career.

I know this on March 29, 2017, when I look at the team I’ve built as we gather on the front lawn of Adams Library at Rhode Island College, one year later and stronger than ever.

This last year with Odyssey has been quite the ride, to say the least. Through an endless cycle of change, ups and downs and chaos, I've learned the power of hard work and perseverance. I've had the privilege of watching (and growing alongside) the company that went from a social content platform to a social media platform in the matter of a few months.

Because of Odyssey, I've found the best friends that I knew were out there for me, it just took me 18 years to find them. With Odyssey, I've created a family among my Content Creators. With Odyssey, I've found my voice. One that extends far beyond the company's mission to give a voice to a censored generation.

It's funny how life works. It was one day that changed my life. One day that I half-assed my way through an application for an on-the-rise company, knowing full well that I would likely get lost in the shuffle because I was young and inexperienced. One day that I learned that I was capable of anything I set my mind to. It was a single day--just 24 hours-- that I entered the field of my dreams and, ultimately, changed my life.

So, to summarize with a few quick 'thank you's':

To my Content Creators:

Thank you for supporting me through everything. Each and every one of you has touched my life in the most incredible way. Watching you grow as writers, whether it be over the last year or just the last few months, has been one of the most rewarding experiences. Thank you for being more than a list of names in a GroupMe chat and for supporting each other through everything.

To my Co-Editor(s), Brittany and Arianna:

Britt, thank you for helping make the community what it is from the beginning. I'm so thankful for you and everything you did to launch this team. Ari, thank you for always stepping up to the plate and for having my back when I need you. Thank you for your magical spreadsheet powers, amazing ideas, and unconditional love for this team.

To our (many) Managing Editors:

Thank you all for supporting the team no matter what. I know it's your job, but seriously, I'm so grateful for your encouraging words and ability to motivate me to meet and overcome any goals or challenges the team may have.

To my best friends:

It's hard to believe that it's been a year since Odyssey brought us together. I will always be thankful for March 29th.

And, to Odyssey:

Thank you for everything. Here's to another year.