6 Of The Most Underrated One Direction Songs That Feel Like 'Home'

With a total of 83 original songs, One Direction has many incredible songs that are often forgotten about.

702

On July 23, 2020, the boyband One Direction turned 10 years old. The band's original members included Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, Zayn Malik, Niall Horan, and Harry Styles.

Although they have been on a hiatus for the past five years, many of their hardcore fans spent the day reminiscing the days when the band was still together.

Fans were given new EP's via Spotify that contained remixes, acoustic versions, and live versions of some of the band's most popular songs. To celebrate One Direction's ten years of existence, enjoy a list of their most underrated songs that deserve more recognition.

1. "Something Great"

At the top of this list is the song "Something Great" from One Direction's more rock-inspired junior album, "Midnight Memories." This banger was written by Jacknife Lee, Gary Lightbody, and Harry Styles, and it is listed as the twelfth track on "Midnight Memories."

"Something Great" is a song about a person longing for and fantasizing about a relationship with another person. Not only is this track relatable, but it also has a beautiful melody accompanying the impressive vocals. It carries folky elements similar to the band's single "Story of My Life." This song features lyrics like "I want you here with me like how I pictured it. So I don't have to keep imagining" during the chorus.

You may be wondering why this seemingly fantastic song is on this list. One explanation is that "Something Great" was not on their setlist for the "Where We Are" tour, unlike the majority of the album. It got lost in the mix of incredible songs on the "Midnight Memories" album.

2. "Home"

Coming in at No. 2 is the song "Home," which is featured on the "Perfect EP." This heartwarming song was written by Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, and Jamie Scott. It's a good mix of a ballad and a mid-tempo song and features guitar and drums as the prominent instruments.

Not only does this song have a beautiful message, but it features vocals from member Harry Styles that fans hadn't heard before. This includes his falsetto during the pre-chorus, when he sings, "I was stumbling, Looking in the dark (Ooh) with an empty heart."

This song also can be interpreted as a love song. On the other hand, the preferred meaning for most fans is that it's a song dedicated to their fans. However you choose to decode this track, it is still a song that deserves more love than it receives. Not only did One Direction not include "Home" on any of their tour setlists, but there was very little promo surrounding it.

3. "Fireproof"

One Direction's fourth album houses "Fireproof," a song that deserves more attention from everybody. Although both Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne have claimed this is their favorite song, it still gets overshadowed by the other songs on "Four." This song was written by Julian Bunetta, Louis Tomlinson , Jamie Scott, Liam Payne, and John Ryan.

"Fireproof" falls in line with the band's more mature sounding music, and it is more of an indie-rock style. This was the first song released off of "Four" and received 1.1 million downloads within the first 24 hours. The song talks about what it takes to openly love and rely on another person.

This smooth sounding track was included during the "On the Road Again" tour. Like many of their songs, "Fireproof" is relatable and can be enjoyed by everyone.

4. "Change Your Ticket"

Another song off of One Direction's fourth album,"Four," that needs more attention is "Change Your Ticket." This song is upbeat and more alternative sounding with the electric guitar being played at the forefront of the track. Some even compare it to songs by The 1975. This banger was written by Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Niall Horan, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, Sam Martin, Julian Bunetta, and John Ryan.

Like many of One Direction's underrated songs, "Change Your Ticket" was not included on any of their tour's setlists. This track is about wanting a lover to stay a few more days with them, most likely while they were on tour. It features lyrics like, "You should probably stay, probably stay, a couple more days. Come on let me change your ticket home." Also, "Change Your Ticket" includes one of Zayn Malik's signature high notes during the bridge of the song.

All in all, this song never received the attention it warranted. It has the elements of some of the band's most popular hits.

5. "Walking in the Wind"

"Walking in the Wind' is featured on the extended edition of One Direction's fifth album, "Made in the AM." Written by Harry Styles, John Ryan, Jamie Scott, and Julian Bunetta, this song is pleasing to the ear. In an interview, Harry Styles talked about the inspiration behind the song, saying

"I like Walking in the Wind because I'm a big Paul Simon fan, and I think the inspiration behind it was Graceland. And just kind of the way in which the verse is so conversational and informal. It's like spoken word... I love that album. And when I listen to it, I love hearing the influence from that in this song."

The soft music makes it effortless to get lost in. Sadly, since the band never toured their fifth album, "Walking in the Wind" never got the chance to be played to a crowd. It tells a story, in a way that differs from the majority of One Direction's other songs.

6. "Truly, Madly, Deeply"

Finally, "Truly, Madly, Deeply" is an unreleased original song that deserved to make it on an album. Until One Direction's ten year anniversary, fans had to listen to this song on YouTube, since it was not officially released. This song was written for the band by Toby Gad, Lindy Robbins, and Trevor Dahl. This track was recorded during the early days of the band.

"Truly, Madly, Deeply" features acoustic guitar and hints of other string instruments, accompanied by heartfelt vocals from the members. It's about an underdog that ultimately gets the partner of their dreams. It meets every stereotypical love song standard but in the best way possible.

Even after 10 years, this boy band still impacts the lives of their fans globally. Many welcome the nostalgia that accompanies One Direction's music.

If you're a fan of One Direction, these songs will bring you back to a time when life was simpler, and the only epidemic was One Direction Infection.