I Graduated High School a Day After I Turned 17...

How this one spontaneous decision gave me the best life I could ask for.

360

I grew up in a basic southern town. The same people you have known since you were five and the only thing to do for fun was hang out in the Walmart parking lot after the football games. I was happy though, I was a three sport varsity athlete, an honors student, and I had the best group of friends. I loved the sunrises and the simple life with acres of woods around everyone's house. I remember being bored though, everything was always the same. I knew who I'd see before and after each class and we would have the same plans every weekend as everyone else did.

Sophomore year I was sitting in my English class and the girl in front of me asked how she could graduate early. I did not know that was an option, and the second I heard it, I knew it that I wanted to do it. The same day I went to my guidance counselor, without even talking to my parents, and I told her that I plan to graduate high school early. Every person told me not to and how I would fall behind or regret it. However, I stuck to my plan and my parents supported me as long as I didn't change my mind.

When I went into my "senior" year, I had enough credits to only go to school every other day. I knew that life had more to offer and I was so happy.

Halfway through that year however, I became sad thinking about all of my friends who I had planned on graduating with since elementary school. I knew that I would leave them and miss them. I reminisced on the sports and how I would miss a whole season with my teammates and all of the games that I loved. I still didn't regret it, I knew that life had so much more to offer and I could not wait to see the adult world. I became close with my best friend who is a year older, which is the grade class I skipped to. I ended up graduating in the top 5% of my new class and went onto a four year college on academic scholarships.

My freshman year of college was rough. I had only turned 17 three months before and I moved to a new big city alone. I struggled in my classes and I thought that I was too young to be taking the excelled courses. Adults were in my classes struggling too and I did not think that I was going to be able to do it. By second semester, I learned how to study and I had declared my major to pre-med with hopes of becoming a surgeon one day.

I'm now a sophomore and it is crazy to think that I am younger than everyone. I am still friends with my best friend from high school. I made the President's List my second semester because my GPA was so good, and I have the most amazing life that I could have imagined. I still don't regret the impulsive decision I made three years ago. Graduating high school a year early was the best choice I have ever made. Even with all the doubt, I wouldn't wish for my life to be any different.