On Becoming Friends With My Parents

On Becoming Friends With My Parents

It's not as impossible as you'd think

2
On Becoming Friends With My Parents
Amanda Sobotor

When I packed up to leave for college for the first time, I felt as if I couldn't wait to get away from home. I was sick of high school, my boring hometown and especially my parents telling me what to do. At eighteen I imagined myself leaving for college and never coming back.

Fast forward three years and it's my senior year. I'm driving home for Thanksgiving and I've never been more excited. As the years have passed and I've spent more and more time on campus, I've begun to appreciate the time I get to spend at home more and more. People may read this and wonder "what created this change of heart" and I can honestly say that it's the friendship that I've created with my mom and stepdad.

During high school, my parents and I had the typical issues that most teenagers experience with their parents: tension, differing opinions and plenty of arguments. These fights drove me to want nothing more than to be away from home, to live on my own and be independent.

However, as I've grown older I realize now that things have definitely changed in a lot of ways for the better. Having time apart has given time for me to mature and realize the important part that my stepdad and mom have both played in my life. Sure, we have definietly not always gotten along I won't deny that, but now I realize that was just a chapter in my life and does not have to define my whole relationship with them going forward.

As time as gone on, and I've been home for different holidays, weekends and other events we've been able to have much more than just a parent/child relationship but an amazingly close friendship as well. From watching stupid Hallmark movies together and making fun of them, to going out to eat and to picking fun at each other and creating inside jokes, we have become close in a whole new way that I never imagined would be possible.

Now, I am excited to go home and see my family, we often make plans of different things we want to do together when I come home for holidays or on the weekends. I'm thankful for all of the time I get to spend with both of my parents and the amazing friendship that we have created with one another.

I want to urge any teenagers out there or any parents of teenagers out there who are going through a rough time with each other to not give up. Sometimes we go through difficult periods and relationships become strained but this often does not last forever. Sometimes some time apart makes you realize that the people in your life are more special and important than you could ever imagine.

Want to have your voice heard? Interested in joining the Influencers of New Jersey community? Request an invite here.