An Open Letter To My Older Brother

An Open Letter To My Older Brother

You're a pain, but you're my pain.

1252
An Open Letter To My Older Brother
Kellie King

To my older brother,

I know I don't say it enough, but I'm so thankful to have you in my life. Our conversations are primarily filled with witty banter and jokes made at each other's expense, but in the quiet moments I am able to reflect on just how impactful you have been in my life. You were my first best friend, and that friendship has helped me become the person I am today.

Thank you for protecting me.

I know our relationship isn't the standard big-brother-little-sister relationship. I know you aren't the type to say, "I'll kill any guy who hurts my sister!" because you won't even kill the bugs in my room. However, your non-violent demeanor hasn't stopped you from shielding me from the hurtful words of others, and the advice that you have given me to hold my head up and be confident in my abilities has taught me how to protect myself, even when you aren't around.

Thank you for your sense of humor.

It's fair to say I learned everything about humor from being your sister, and personally I think you're one of the funniest people I know. I'm in stitches whenever we are together, and if I'm able to make you laugh, that's when I know I've made it.

Thank you for your support.

Even being in college three hours away, I know you will answer every phone call, every text, and every Facebook mention when I need to hear your voice. You keep me believing in myself when I feel like giving up, because you see in me everything that I think I lack. You never judge me for my fears or my dreams, and you help me stay on my path when I get lost.

Thank you for being my partner in crime.

Mom always says that whenever we are together, we are unstoppable. Which I would agree with, but I'm not sure if she means "unstoppable" in a good way. From sliding down banisters when the babysitter was asleep, to riding our Heelys around Costco and hiding in the refrigerators in Home Depot, to coordinating elaborate pranks on Mom to this day, we have probably caused our parents' hair to turn gray a little too quickly (or fall out all-together in Dad's case). I'm happy to say, that even through all of those shenanigans, we have remained best friends. You are my number one, my go-to, my confidant, my source of annoyance, my shoulder to cry on, and my most treasured friend. You are my brother, and that is forever (sorry, you can't get rid of me).

Love you always,

Your little sister