22 Of The 'Old' Taylor's Best Songs (RIP)

The songs that shaped me but 'killed' her.

1612

As you'd probably guess, I've been a fan of Taylor Swift since day one. I did have my doubts during her "Red" era and when I first heard "Shake It Off" (and don't even get me started with this "new" Taylor and all her drama), but that's because I'm afraid of change. I'm sure you can see how I felt torn while watching music video for "Look What You Made Me Do," in which Taylor runs away from her past "selves" and claims the "old" Taylor Swift to be dead. The old Taylor Swift was who I and so many others grew up loving, so it hurt to see her throw away her past.

Either way, she got me through my first crush in the 5th grade with "Teardrops On My Guitar" and through my first heartbreak at eighteen with "Clean." You can bet I'll be listening to "22" on repeat on my 22nd birthday, as well as singing "Never Grow Up" to my future children. Here are my top 22 songs by the "old" Taylor Swift (RIP).

1. "Blank Space"

When I first saw this music video, I watched it again, and again, and again...

Best line: "'Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream."

2. "Starlight"

Best line: "We were 17 and crazy, running wild, wild."

3. "Tim McGraw"

Because this was her first single that came out ELEVEN years ago (whaaaaat?!), and the OG Taylor Swift fans are likely also Tim McGraw fans.

Best line: "Someday you'll turn your radio on, I hope it takes you back to that place."

4. "Stay Stay Stay"

Tell me this song doesn't make you want to fall in love.

Best line: "It's been occurring to me I'd like to hang out with you, for my whole life."

5. "Never Grow Up"

Best line: "Remember the footsteps, remember the words said, and all your little brother's favorite songs."

6. "Fifteen"

Best line: "But in your life, you'll do things greater than dating the boy on the football team, but I didn't know it at fifteen."

7. "Teardrops On My Guitar"

Best line: "He says he's so in love, he's finally got it right, I wonder if he knows he's all I think about at night."

8. "Dear John"

It was so hard to choose a favorite line of this song, literally the whole song is my favorite.

Best line: "And I'll look back in regret how I ignored when they said, 'run as fast as you can.'"

9. "New Romantics"

Same goes for this one. She's a lyrical genius.

Best line: "We cry tears of mascara in the bathroom, honey, life is just a classroom."

10. "Back To December"

Best line: "It turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you, wishing I'd realized what I had when you were mine."

11. "The Way I Loved You"

Best line: "Breakin' down and comin' undone, it's a roller-coaster kinda rush."

12. "Mean"

Best line: "Someday I'll be living in a big old city, and all you're ever gonna be is mean."

13. "22"

Best line: "We're happy, free, confused, and lonely in the best way."

14. "Sparks Fly"

Best line: "You're the kinda reckless that should send me runnin' but I kinda know that I won't get far."

15. "Wonderland"

Best line: "You search the world for something else to make you feel like what we had, and in the end in wonderland we both went mad."

16. "Long Live"

Best line: "'Cause for a moment a band of thieves in ripped up jeans got to rule the world."

17. "Everything Has Changed"

Best line: "And your eyes look like coming home."

18. "Clean"

Best line: "It was months and months of back-and-forth, you're still all over me like a wine-stained dress I can't wear anymore."

19. "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"

Her sass is REAL.

Best line: "And you would hide away and find your piece of mind with some indie record that's much cooler than mine."

20. "Picture To Burn"

Even more sass.

Best line: "And if you come around saying sorry to me, my daddy's gonna show you how sorry you'll be."

21. "Welcome To New York"

Best line: "When we first dropped our bags on apartment floors, took our broken hearts and put them in a drawer."

22. "You Belong With Me"

High school in a song.

Best line: "Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find that what you're looking for has been here the whole time."

Whether Taylor Swift is someone you love to hate or hate to love, there's no denying she's a bomb-ass songwriter. Before you say she has no talent and makes you feel nothing, listen to these songs.