dates that need to happen.

10 Dates That Need To Make A Comeback

"Old time" dates that should be now time dates.

92
Hannah Thomason
Hannah Thomason

Nowadays dates are usually some form of Netflix and Chill. Especially when you live in a small town like I do. Here are ten date ideas that should come back. This also has a twist where I'm adding my friend Nico's opinion on these date ideas so we get the male perspective.

1. Outdoor movie theater

I know a few towns over from mine is the Mchenry outdoor movie theater. It has been open since before I was born yet I have only gone there for one date and that was last summer. I love the idea of outdoor movie theaters and really want to go there more. For those who live in the area, they are currently playing Solo and Oceans 8 currently.

Nico: You can talk before the movie and/or get together with other viewers afterwards and have a get-together between your cars, then sleep in your car when you get tired. If the date doesn't go well, at least you made some quick friends sort of.

2. Stargazing

c1.staticflickr.com

Okay, what people don't understand is how whimsical and relaxing the back of a pickup can be. Just like in those 80's films, you and your person can go on a small trip to a field or country road at dusk and get comfy under the still gaze of Orion and Ursa Major. It's not that hard either: get some blankets and lay them on the floor of the truck bed, then put some pillows or sleeping bags down for padding/comfort.

Once everything is in place, you can set up an electric candle and/or a Bluetooth speaker and proceed to let faint music play as you converse, the incandescent glow of the candle softly playing across your visages. The good thing about this kind of date is that it doesn't have to be Romantic. You really could just talk about whatever you want or share music or sleep. In short, it's a getaway with great potential, because it is what you make of it.

Nico: Well, I would say that I'd be less willing to do the truckbed thing, as cool as it sounds. I don't want to creep my date out or put myself in a potentially dangerous situation. I'd suggest doing it with someone you trust and have been dating for a long while, possibly after you've gone official.

3. Getting milkshakes

Steak and Shake

On my way home from work when I worked at Amazon I went with my co-worker to Steak and Shake for dinner a lot and it was one of the best things about that shitty job. We got some bomb ass food and some really good milkshakes. There's also this place called Dog-n-Suds in my town that has some of the best root beer floats yet I have never been there on a date. Ice cream or milkshakes make for the perfect summer date. Go to the beach for the day then take your girl to a cute parlor, she will love it. Most of the chick flicks have some ice cream or milkshake scene so it's a cliché for a reason.

Nico: I have no clue what this is. (in reference to steak and shake) It's probably a food thing or something. In any case, it's probably a good way to just hang out with whoever you're out with, no pressure included

4. Bowling

Hannah Thomason

We have an ally in almost all the surrounding towns. I go a lot with my friends but it is seen as lame for a date. That to me is utter B.S because even though I suck and barely score over 100 it is a cheap date idea that can last a good amount of time and you can just be goofy together. For only $6 we can eat some pizza while making fun of each other for sucking. You can make it a double date even if you want with ease and have it couple vs couple which is always fun actually.

Nico: It is sort of lame, but that's fine. You can lose the cool-guy routine for a few hours. I mean, there's food and lighthearted competition. It's not like your manliness is dictated by bowling of all things. All in all, I think it's kind of underrated. Just wouldn't do it all the time. It's casual though which is what I like about it.

5. Offline games

upload.wikimedia.org

This can be board games or outdoor games. Video games are fun and all but being outside makes for better connections. Get a volleyball and go to a park or a basketball. If not that play a game of clue or chess. My mom and I used to play board games all the time and I really hate that most people see them as lame because I would love to teach a boyfriend how to play backgammon or the weird game I got from the renaissance fair.

Nico: It sounds pretty fun, actually. I have some good memories of just playing cards or scrabble while camping and whatnot. I wouldn't knock it too hard. I just wouldn't force it, since I don't really feel like playing board games that often. Volleyball or a pick-up game of basketball works though. I can definitely get behind that.(hey my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx pls play dnd with me I need players pls thx.)

6. Winter outdoors

As much as winter is amazing for cuddling by the fire, that can get boring after doing it every time you hang out. Let's go sledding at Wilmont Mountain or go ice skating in Crystal Lake. Heck, we can even just start up a snowball fight or build a snowman. There's so much you can do for free outside in the winter yet most of the time people don't want to for some odd reason. Go outside and act like kids for a little while and when you get all cold it makes for even better cuddles and hot cocoa. Go on a walk and take some really good pictures because I can tell you 100% females love it when you take pictures of them at random times and they probably want to go take pictures as well.

Nico: Ice skating is probably good since it doesn't matter if you're an expert or not. If that doesn't work though, you could always carol or something. I'm not really one for snowmen personally, but that's just me.

7. Camping

A few weeks ago I went "camping" for a Neon paint festival. I say "camping" because it wasn't the hardcore camping but we did sleep in a tent and make food over a fire. That is something that I love to do yet again I haven't done since I can remember. I'm a very outdoorsy girl and can say I would love if a guy took me camping. We get to spend the night together out in nature where it's only us. Make some food over a fire (which is the best tasting food) and talk the night away. You get to know your person and make some really amazing memories with them. You can camp at any state park for super cheap. The one near me, Chain o Lakes, only costs $25 to camp there and they allow pets.

Nico: I am down with the out-of-town. That's more of a long-term thing, though. As long as there's a good mix of preparation and willingness to improvise, then it should be good. I don't want to go with people who aren't into it though . Sleeping in a tent isn't for everyone, and some people get short-tempered in those conditions. Point-short, it needs to be with the right people.

8. Picnics

upload.wikimedia.org

Seriously why do people not do this more? It involves food, outdoors, and a blanket. It's the most simple thing and it can be a perfect outdoor event. Take me to a park with a frisbee and some food.

Nico: maybe they don't do it more because parks are decayed and not enough government spending is going to the Parks and Rec budget of the state department to take care of them adequately. Plus, parks are boring as shit. However, you can instead appeal to city folk and recommend campuses, well-funded city parks, and camping areas)

9. Free concerts

Hannah ThomasonTaken at Neon Wonderland

There are so many places in Chicago and Milwaukee that have free concerts if you know where to look. You can go to a lot of coffee shops that have live music or bars/restaurants. That way you get food and get to experience some good music. If you don't want the food I know for a fact that there are free concerts that happen in the streets at random days. You can find the concerts online pretty easy or in the newspapers they advertise them.

Nico: Honestly, those can be pretty fun. Letting loose and dancing my ass off is something I rarely do. Just be safe is all. Otherwise, they're pretty okay in my book.

10. Fairs

upload.wikimedia.org

Take.me.to.a.carnival. Let me tell you, most females love going to the fair. We have so many state and town fairs in my area yet I've only gone to milk days for a date twice. Once was when I planned the date. For those who don't know Milk Days is a fair in Harvard IL. They have rides, games, fair food (which we all know is the best), milk, and lots of cows. It is one of my favorite things to go to in summer. Besides Milk Days there's The Taste of Antioch which is also a town near me. This one they fill a parking lot with rides like the Zipper and have so much yummy funnel cake. Spend a day going on rides, eating yummy food, and winning stuffies for your girl. I can promise you she will be so happy after and during it.

Nico: WHAT ON GODS GREEN EARTH IS THAT?? (his reaction to me talking about milk days.) . I guess they can certainly be fun. I like going on the wheel and whatnot, and anywhere with food is certainly a place I like to be, but staying for too long makes me feel like I'm walking around a ghoulish festival of consumption made to rake in as much profit as possible. That being said, they're pretty okay in moderation, and there's a good reason why they make so much money.