Oklahoma Teen Travels To Suriname

Oklahoma Teen Travels To Suriname

The Story of Casey Jackson - Awe Star Missionary

12
Oklahoma Teen Travels To Suriname
Awe Star Ministries

Note from the Writer: A week ago I wrote an article, lightly covering the impact Awe Star Ministries has had on my life and the key lessons they have taught to hundreds of students (find the article here). What I originally thought would just be a nice idea, simple and sweet, has gone so much further than I ever expected! It has opened the doors for me to bring you the following story from Casey Jackson, an Awe Star Alumni who recently returned from a 35-day trip to Suriname.

I was about ten years old when my family first heard about Awe Star. My older brother, Craig, traveled with them to Mexico and a few other places; over the years it just became something that was part of our lives. Through the trips I took with Awe Star, I was challenged and changed. They challenged me to go deeper in my faith, regardless of my age, and changed the way I love people - seeing them through God's eyes no matter their history.

But I think the greatest lesson I've learned from Awe Star is simply that is is okay to be different from my culture, it's what I'm called to, in fact. To not be afraid of being different, and to trust God.

This summer, in Suriname, that lesson of trusting God - regardless of language barriers, or my own expectations - was definitely emphasized.

My team and I had been traveling by way of a motor-canoe along the river, village to village, presenting the Drama (to see the Drama, Freedom, in action - follow this link). As our boat came closer to the shore we were met by a passel of children playing in the water, women washing clothes and dishes on the banks, and the unmistakable odor of fish as men scaled their day's catch. The huts we passed by were no larger than a single small room, and families were gathered around small outdoor fires to cook and eat.

To be able to minister to the villagers, first we had to get permission from their Captain. He did not make the decision quickly, though, and it was only after a good deal of waiting and praying that he finally gave us a hesitant, "yes". So, after a day of working and praying, we gathered in a large meeting place and prepared to perform - but we were stopped.

The people of this village - and the many others in the surrounding jungle - worshiped various idols. Their small shrines were squared off by cinder blocks or tiles, sometimes decorated with bottles, shreds of cloth, beads, or leaves - to "ward of evil spirits."

We had been told to wait, because the entire village was gathered in their temple, holding their own worship service to their many idols. And how did we respond? We waited - and prayed to our God that the hearts of these people would be softened to the Truth. It was maybe an hour or two before, one by one, a crowd began to form around us.

Surrounded by men, women, and children of all different ages, in the heart of the jungle of Suriname, we presented the Gospel and love of Jesus Christ. Enraptured by the funny costumes and exciting story presented in our short play, most of the people stayed to hear what explanation we could give for it all. One of those people was the Captain himself.

A teammate of mine had the opportunity to speak with the Captain. After a while, taking the time to hear the Truth behind our Drama, the Captain began to open up and ask questions. These questions led to answers - and to the salvation of the Captain. With a new light in his eyes he explained to us, "I took so long to tell you "yes" and I brought my people here to pray, because even before you asked me if you could share with us - I knew. I knew that what you had to say about your God would destroy all of our many gods."

There are not many people my age who have had the blessing of being a witness to an event like this - the leader of a tribe coming to Christ, and thereby leading an entire people to the Truth and Love of Jesus. But that is exactly the kind of experience you get with Awe Star. It is different from any other ministry I've ever known of - the people I've met have become some of my dearest friends, and it has changed me even more than I've been able to inspire change in others. Honestly, it is for any one - young or old - who is looking to see their faith deepened, and the world drawn closer to Christ. Because if you want to go deeper in your life with Christ at all, I know an Awe Star trip will - if not radically change you - at least stretch you a bit.

Casey is only one example of hundreds of students impacted by their experiences with Awe Star Ministries - including yours truly. In the next week I will offer you a break down of what a typical day of ministry looks like with Awe Star, and give you an opportunity to look a little closer at their fast approaching trip to Mexico. Until that time I pray that Casey's story has touched you, and that your heart will be moved to take action.

We are all called to be different from this world - we are all called to share the Good News. Now is the time - step out!