Oh, What a Summer it was

Oh, What a Summer it was

A look at a few of my favorite moments this summer.

43
Oh, What a Summer it was
Nick Villalobos

As my final fall semester at Northwestern Oklahoma State University approaches, I just want to take this time to share with you some of my favorite moments God blessed me with this summer.

• A Day at the Links:

About three months ago, my summer started with a quick trip to the golf course to compete in the regular Tuesday night scramble at The Links in Bixby with a longtime brother of mine, Aaron Mills.

Usually, Aaron and I are slotted on the same team, but this time, we were on opposing sides, squaring off against one another.

Aaron’s team featured three decent players, and himself, who I would call a good quality player that usually comes up clutch in pressure situations. My team on the other hand was composed of four players, all of which were so inconsistent in each area of their game that even thinking of a win would seem almost impossible, and me, the one that usually just golfs at least twice a year.

When the scramble began, my team managed to surprise itself hole after hole. After we made the first birdie, then the second and finally the third, we thought ‘hey we’re not doing too poorly. We might be able to win this thing.’

Unfortunately, right about that moment, when we made that our mindset, the dreaded par’s started piling up on our scorecard and before we knew it, we were out of holes and any opportunities of going lower.

We finished three under par, a score that unfortunately left us in fourth place, but, more importantly, a score that left Aaron, and other members of his losing team, in shock.

His team thought us bunch of misfits wouldn’t be competitive. Ha, we proved them wrong that day, especially after an almost ace on our final hole.

After the laughs were had following the scramble and the sun began to sit on that day, I thought to myself, "what an awesome way to start my last summer."

• My time at the Examiner-Enterprise

Shortly after the scramble with my brother Aaron, I began my 8-week internship at the Bartlesville Examiner-Enterprise. Let me tell you, that was such an awesome experience. It was trying, don’t get me wrong, but it was awesome too.

I learned a lot lessons and skills that will help me in so many ways down the road, if I do in fact pursue a career in print journalism. I also met some pretty cool people throughout the Bartlesville area as well, some of which will be friends for years to come.

Finally, the last thing I not necessarily learned, but was reminded of during my time at the Examiner-Enterprise is what I consider to be the most important thing to me, and that is God is good, all the time, and all the time, God is good.

That whole experience was just one big blessing from God. From each story assignment, to each new person met and each conversation had with them, He was right there beside me guiding me along.

• The Mississippi Experience

Following the conclusion of the internship, and a brief period of just time to myself, my sister’s family and I, went to visit our brother and his family at their home in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.

It was a legit week down there just off the coast.

First, getting to see all the scenery on the trip down there and throughout the Ocean Springs area was just awesome. Next, getting to spend some time with my brother fishing, and driving around town exploring, was so memorable. Then finally, getting to travel around with my sister and her family was such a great experience also. Sure, each trip with them while we were there was longer then what I anticipated, but that’s just what God planned.

He said something different and I love that He did because each trip with them, while we were down there, showed me more of God's handiwork.

The Mississippi experience, as I now call it, was full of so many God-given memories.

• Air 1 Positive Hits Tour

Directly following the time in Mississippi, I went back to home to get ready for the Air 1 Positive Hits Tour. Many people that night called it a concert but to me, it was the greatest worship service I’ve ever attended.

Not only did I get to meet Danny Gokey, Christian Stanfill, Passion and the other performers that played that night, but I got to hear some powerful testimonies and experience a tremendous spiritual restoration within myself.

After dealing with numerous spiritual battles and asking for many weeks prior to the Air 1 event for them to end, God spoke to me and finally granted me a victory over each battle I was dealing with.

God breathed new life back into me, even when I thought I wasn’t worthy of it. It was simply amazing, and most importantly, restoring.

The Air 1 Positive Hits Tour was the greatest blessing that the good Lord granted me with throughout the entirety of this summer, and one that I will always be reminded of for many years to come.

To Tie it With a Bow

Those were just a few of my favorite moments this summer. There was also the time I spent leading in the Royal Ranger ministry all summer at my church, Oologah Assembly of God, the time of fellowship with other men at OAG and also the time that Don Tyson, a long-time commander of mine in Royal Rangers, spent mentoring me and helping me grow into a better Christ-like follower.

So, to tie it with a bow, I'd have to say this summer was one blessing after another and I hope that God uses me, and other alike, to spread even more blessings throughout this year at Northwestern Oklahoma State University.