Oh My Dog!

Oh My Dog!

Some interactive ways to keep your dog busy instead of bored.

12
Oh My Dog!

Having dogs as pets can be very interactive and fun, but when our lives get busy it can be hard to keep pets entertained. I have brainstormed different ways to keep dogs both physically and mentally active through activities.

1. Teach Your Dog New Tricks

This is a total dog confidence booster. I tried this with my dog at home and I immediately recognized a stronger bond in the dog-owner relationship. Even when we weren't trick training, my dog would follow common commands more often.

2. Make a Small Obstacle Course For Your Dog

By motivating your dog to face obstacles in order to get to a goal (treats, toys, etc.), it is simultaneously working out your dogs brain. This way, your dog can be smarter and more quick to react in other circumstances.

3. Take Your Dog To a Designated Dog Park

By taking your dog to a dog park, it allows your pet to interact with other animals that it may not have the chance to do at home. Interacting with others can teach your dog limits on what is too rough while playing, and can also reveal playful sides of your dog.

4. Change Up Your Walking Routine

Your dog can get accustomed to the walks you go on daily; even this can lead to boredom and a monotonous lifestyle for your pet. In order to avoid this, take different paths on your walks.

5. Use a Kiddie Pool or Go To a Small Lake

Dogs should experience living in different environments than their everyday norm. Being in the water can especially be refreshing for dogs with thicker fur, who get hot quicker.

6. Let Your Dog Destroy Their Toys

I know this one may be hard to grasp, but dogs usually destroy their toys because they are either bored, or they hear the high-pitched squeaky sound come from it and think it is a prey. Since dogs have a natural killer instinct, this action means that your dog is just trying to solve the issue and attack its prey--it's natural!

7. Let Your Dog Watch Television (Especially Animal Planet)

Sounds silly, but the sounds of other animals barking, meowing, or others can help stimulate the brain. The dog is then distracted, and mentally engaged.