Offensive Halloween Costumes

Offensive Halloween Costumes

Just don't wear them

268
Offensive Halloween Costumes
mymediatedlifeblog

Halloween season is coming around and everyone is already thinking about what costumes they want to wear this year. However, sometimes people go for costumes that are offensive towards either a group of people or a person. These would be examples of costumes that are offensive and inappropriate and hopefully you won't be wearing this Halloween or any Halloween.

1. Racial

Blackface, Hispanic stereotypes, Native American stereotypes (labeled Indians), and Middle Eastern stereotypes. Some of them might be hot or sexy, and you might think that's a good enough reason to wear it, because you're not trying to make fun of a culture, you think you're demonstrating how good it looks. But no, in reality you are just appropriating a culture, despite what good intentions you may have. Other times, it's not for the sexiness but for the hilarity. I'd like to be the voice of reason here and point out that dressing up in a sombrero or "like a terrorist" or painting your face black is just not funny. Don't do it.

An organization at Ohio University started a campaign dedicated to the prevention of racism in 2013. The campaign is called, "We're A Culture, Not A Costume." It brings awareness to the fact that too many people wear cultures as costumes and the people they're "depicting" do not appreciate it.

2. Sexual Abuse

Thinking about dressing up as Bill Cosby or Brock Turner? Before doing it, consider this. Any female that sees you will hate you on sight. Think that you'll get lucky Halloween night wearing a costume depicting a sexual predator? You won't. I guarantee it. No girl finds sexual assault funny. Most guys don't find it funny either. If they do, they're not good guys. Just like you if you decide to go ahead and do it anyway.

3. Domestic Abuse

Just like with costumes that depict anyone involved with sexual abuse, dressing up as people that have initiated or experienced domestic abuse is just as off putting. Are you dating someone and think it would be cute to be Chris Brown and Rihanna circa 2009? Try being peanut butter and jelly instead. It's less offensive and you'll actually be bae goals. Are you a single guy and think it'd be super cute to dress up as Ray Rice or OJ Simpson? Think again. Beating and/or murdering your significant other is never going to be an attractive look.

4. Tragic Events

School shootings, 9/11, and the Holocaust are definitely not good Halloween costumes. In fact, it guarantees that many people will get upset. The death of so many people is not funny and it will never be funny. The commonly used phrase "too soon" doesn't even apply, because even if the world were ending, it'd still be too soon.

Another thing that ties into this are costumes that depict the victims of police brutality, such as Trayvon Martin. Just as the other tragic events, people died, and that in no way merits a joke or costume. It's incredibly inappropriate and rude to the loved ones of the victims.

5. LGBT

Everyone wants to be a drag queen, but not only is it a hard look to pull off, it's just not cool. A really good example of this are the two versions of costumes that show Caitlyn Jenner before and after her transition. The before is from when she was known as Bruce Jenner, and it depicts her as a male in the Olympics. The after is her now, mocking her outfit from the Vanity Fair article that first published her transition. Making fun of something so sensitive and delicate as transitioning from one sex to another is not appropriate and honestly shows malice more than anything.