8 Things I Noticed About Buffalo NY

8 Things I Learned During My 72 Hours In Buffalo, NY

Observations of a Manhattanite...

64
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlA9Cn5ADaD/?hl=en&tagged=buffaloskyline
Instagram

I just came back from a 3 day trip to Buffalo, NY. For people who live in central NY, Buffalo is a major hub of activity/jobs/stuff to do. However, for someone used to Manhattan, Buffalo doesn't quite compare. There's definitely a lot of differences between the two cities--some are in Buffalo's favor while others are in Manhattan's. Regardless, I learned a lot in my 3 days in Buffalo. In the list below, I included a bunch of things I noticed about this city in the 3 days I was there:

1. For a main city, it's pretty desolate

While I was sitting in the car at night on a main street, I counted 5 people that walked by in 30 minutes--only 5.

2. People throw axes for fun

I have only seen axe-throwing places on tv...when I saw one in real life I was shocked that they actually existed.

3. Taxidermy is super popular

Every restaurant has a deer head hanging over the bar. I passed a decent number of taxidermy shops in my adventures as well.

4. Men sport long beards

In New York, short beards are the trend. But in Buffalo, everywhere you turn there is a guy sporting a long beard.

5. They call soda 'pop'

When I asked for a soda at a restaurant, the waitress said "oh pop?". I stuck out like a sore thumb.

6. Tattoos are very popular

Just like the long beards, everywhere you turn someone is sporting a tattoo sleeve.

7. Bars are like nail salons in NYC

There's more than one on every block

8. You can drive on the train tracks

When we first turned onto the train tracks, I thought we made a major mistake. But all was okay, and it turns out that that is just how they roll in Buffalo.