So You're Going Abroad...Fears And Realizations
Education

Getting your VISA isn't even the hardest part.

164
Photo by Heidi Sandstrom. on Unsplash

Where did the semester go? It seems like just yesterday I was rolling my suitcase through LaGuardia, headed back to NYU campus to start my sophomore year of college. And now here we are, two weeks away from the end of fall semester, and stress is high while motivation is at an all-time low. But to top it all off, the reminder that I'm moving out after finals to start a brand new chapter of my life, is very present and all the more daunting.

I used to think I was completely alone in my fears about leaving. My fellow peers who are also going abroad seemed nothing but ecstatic for a change of pace. Meanwhile, all I was feeling was anxiety. I asked many upperclassmen about their experiences studying away, in a desperate attempt to ease my nerves. All spoke highly of their experiences, but admitted that the initial transition was difficult. Unfortunately, that was the only detail I could focus on.

This is not going to be me sharing how I had some revelation that going abroad really isn't that big of a deal. Because it is. Instead, this is me telling you how I came to accept that my life is about to change and how I plan to approach my last few weeks in New York. Hopefully, with a smile.

I realized I am not alone in my fear

From the moment I accepted my offer to study away, I had serious doubts. Was this the right choice for me? Could I handle it? What would I be sacrificing? For the longest time, I kept my qualms bottled up. But only a couple weeks ago, I watched my roommate, the most passionate advocate of studying away, have a breakdown about the thought of leaving. And as we sat there together on the floor of our room, I realized I wasn't alone. Everyone has hesitations.

I'm getting an opportunity that many people don't get

When I first told my parents I was applying to a study abroad program, they were shocked. I was never someone who wanted to study away; it just wasn't for me. So what changed? As an Admissions Ambassador, it's my job to talk to prospective students about what makes NYU unique. Fun fact: NYU sends more students abroad than any other university in the U.S. I guess somewhere along the way, I realized I'd be missing out if I didn't take advantage of what the school has to offer. Now, thanks to NYU, I am headed off to Europe in two short months with an incredible internship waiting for me, an opportunity I wouldn't have anywhere else.

I will create memories that I wouldn't have hereĀ 

I've never been to Europe. But by the end of my semester abroad, I will have traveled all around it, with stories and memories that I will look back on fondly for the rest of my life. No good story came from everything staying exactly the way it was.

I will face the reality and allow myself to feel it

Leaving is going to be hard. And you shouldn't try to put a brave face on, if you don't want to. It's okay to feel a little sad or worry about what you may miss out on. Don't be afraid of opening up to people about your fears. This is a huge change you are about to face, and if it hasn't hit you yet, it will, so don't dismiss it.

I'm not going to waste timeĀ 

This is so important. The worst way to approach this situation is to wallow in your fear, to not make the most of the little time you have left. Don't waste your time being by yourself in your room. Go out. Be with your friends. Do something you've always wanted to do in the city. Make one of those cheesy bucket lists. Laugh, smile, and love a lot, and stuff your face with greasy New York pizza. Your life is about to change, so soak it all in because the weeks are dwindling down. I am still unbelievably terrified, but in the best way possible. Let the countdown begin.