Why Nursing Students Complain So Much

Nursing Students Have Every Right To Complain

Until you've been up for 48 hours straight writing a 30-page care plan while studying for pathophysiology, don't you dare judge us.

17926
nursing students
Kelly Prososki

Currently, I am a sophomore in college and in my first year of the nursing program here at Cleveland State University. Going into nursing school, I knew that it was going to be a major challenge and an even bigger stressful event. I knew it was going to be no walk in the park.

I mean, I've heard friends that are also nursing students complain to me about how hard it is. I've seen them cry, scream, and breakdown while saying over and over that they just want to drop out. I mean, strippers make more than nurses do. We always have that backup plan, right?

You will never truly understand what nursing students go through until you are in our shoes, in our cohort, in our heads. I mean, for God's sake, I DREAM about classes. I run around practicing my skills on anyone who is willing to give me an arm and their lymph nodes.

What's a filter? I don't have one anymore.

At any point of time, my classrooms are filled with 90% caffeine, 5% desperation, 3% passion, and 2% insanity.

We're all on the verge of losing our minds completely. There is no such thing as relaxing while you're in nursing school. You are always on edge. There is always something to study for, some paper to write, or some skill to practice. If you're relaxing, you're just wasting time that you could be using for an assignment.

We're burned out. We're exhausted. We're fed up. But we cannot wait to be nurses.

So don't you dare come at us with that whole "Oh, I'm a nursing student and my life is ssoooo hard and I whine about everything" kind of mentality.

Yes, I am going to whine about everything , because this major makes me feel stupid and talking it out makes me feel better. I need to get some of this off my chest, because if I don't, my lungs will be crushed under the weight of it all. This field is not something that you just kind of float into. We were those kids in high school that were top of our class, that always had everything organized, that were on top of it all, that would rather be in our books than the real world.

We are the best of the best. We are the elite. No one less than that would be willing to put themselves through Hell in order to save other people's life. No one less would be able to heal and save others while their own lives may be falling apart at the seams. No one less will sit at your bedside, brushing your hair behind your ear, comforting you in your lowest moments.

So yes. I am going to complain. It's the 6th week of classes, and I have had at least one exam per week. Yes, even the first week.

Don't tell me that I have nothing to complain about. Don't tell me that it would be much worse if we were going to be doctors. Don't tell me that I will never get there, because I will if it kills me. Don't tell me anything about my major unless you yourself have been through it.

And be nice to me. I could be your nurse someday.