So Now You're Living On Your Own

So Now You're Living On Your Own

Here are a few tips I picked up from being a Resident Advisor/college student on a college campus.

90
So Now You're Living On Your Own
Merlin Kafka

Incoming Freshman:

So you're all moved out and living on your own…kind of. No mom or dad to nag at you to pick up your dirty clothes, take the garbage out, clean the dishes, etc. You're free to stay up as late as you want, eat whatever you want for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Heck, you're even free to sleep with no pants on!
But then it hits you; you're alone without mom or dad to tell you to pick up your dirty clothes, to take the garbage out, or to clean the dishes. You need to keep yourself accountable for things that need to get done especially when you will be living with another person. Cleaning your room is a must unless you want to get on bad terms with your roommate. Here are a few tips I picked up from being a Resident Advisor/college student on a college campus:

1. Don't be afraid to tell your roommate what is bothering you.

More than not your roommate will be happy that you let them know. If that doesn't work out use your RA. THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE THERE FOR. They have been trained to deal with roommate conflicts and just being there.

2. Read the textbook for the class.

Actually reading the book will help you understand what is going on in class. It may even put you ahead of the class.

3. Utilize your resources.

Most college campuses have a guidance counselor that is available to listen and give you advice if you want it. Remember the RA? Again, use them they can help you out and even if you don’t want to talk to them, they can give you a list of resources.

4. Get to know your professors and let them know you. This is the difference between an 89 percent and a 90 percent.

5. Experience everything and anything you can.

The things you experience will help mold you as a person and your morals.

Post-Grad:

Now you moved out of your parent’s house and you’re living on your own. It all seems so familiar like you’re back in college, but the differences between living in college on your own and living on you own are a little bit different. At least in my case.

When I first moved into my apartment I was so excited and felt so liberated. I wasn’t living at home and that felt like the world’s greatest feeling because I had my own place that I was paying for on my own, but in the words of Ben Parker: with great power comes great responsibility. That doesn’t really fit here but I learned a lot from a couple of days in my apartment.

1. How much does all that cost?! Grocery shopping just got real. Especially when it is my money. It was so much easier when it wasn’t my money

2. I got my paycheck today! And now it’s gone because of my bills.

I really need to save up money so I’m not broke.

3. I have to clean my bathroom on my own…

I’ve been a spoiled child. That is what I learned.

4. This is nothing like college.

Coming home to an empty apartment is sort of depressing, but it’s not being able to do whatever I want when I want.

5. Living alone isn’t all that bad.

I can spend most of my day out and about socializing, but my introvert side will want to be alone and it is just great.

I guess what I’m trying to say is although it may seem like it’s the end of the world, it isn’t. There is so much more for you to experience and having a bump in the road is just life. So go out and don’t stress the little things in the world whether it’s money, relationships, etc. It will be alright at the end of the day and things always work out.