The homestretch of the year.
Seasonal

November Is A Thursday But We're Ready For The Month-Long Weekend

The homestretch of the year

59
Torsten Dettlaff from Pexels

Why is November a Thursday? Because Thanksgiving break is such a big tease.

You're home for four days or so with your friends and family, enjoying a holiday full of great food. For a few days, you don't have to think about classes or assignments (if you're lucky). Then all of a sudden it's Sunday and you're driving back to school only with the worst of the semester to come. The last weeks of your classes, final papers, group presentations, and finals.

Thanksgiving break was a taste of the long winter break that's to come, so it's hard not to check out. After spending a couple days relaxing with your family it's hard to set your brain back to work mode. It's even harder to get back into work mode when you're in Christmas mode. When I returned back to school, the first thing I did was decorate my room for Christmas. So, of course, I was put into the holiday mood. How could you want to do work when you have a Christmas tree lit up in the middle of your room?

Thankfully, knowing that there is so little time left in the semester is a great motivator. Personally, the beginning of the semester flew by for me and that was three months, let alone three weeks. All you have to do is get through the next twenty-one days and then you're off for a month. If you dedicate yourself to getting that last paper, last homework, and the last presentation done, then before you know it your classes will be over. After that, you have to dedicate yourself to your finals. After finishing one final you'll be one step closer to being done for the semester.

So why is November a Thursday? Because December is a Friday.

Think of how you feel on a typical Thursday, you're worn out but you're pushing yourself through because you know that tomorrow is Friday and then you can relax. Pushing through the last of November is like finishing that last homework assignment on a Thursday. Having that long winter break gives us a chance to relax and not have to worry about our classes for once. The beginning of break is like the beginning of the weekend because you know you have plenty of time to spend having fun before Sunday rolls around again.

December is like a Friday because it's full of holiday parties and days spent with family and friends. Instead of cramming seeing everyone into one week, you have one month. There's Christmas movie nights, holiday parades, and building gingerbread houses at home. Being home for the holidays is one of the best feelings and towards the end, you get to welcome a new year.

So, even though November is like a Thursday, we are almost to the weekend! Keep pushing through your classes and you'll be home before you know it.