The Best Novels You Read In High School

5 Novels From Your High School English Classes You Should Read Again

Time to whip out those dusty books and have a good read.

114
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1719/25664895593_32b27a7eb4_o.jpg

As a self-proclaimed English nerd, reading is one of my favorite pastimes. I'm always scouring the shelves at bookstores and libraries looking to find the best new novel to dive into. However, sometimes I like to go back to the classics. We read plenty of classics in high school, but I think sometimes we are too young to truly appreciate them. So, here are 5 novels from your high school English classes you should read again in 2019.

1. The Great Gatsby

Image result for the great gatsby

I recently went back to re-read this novel, and I'm so glad I did. The characters are vibrant and the story has you hooked from beginning to end. Also, the setting of the 1920s could not be more decadent and entertaining. So, immerse yourself in the fantastical world of Gatsby's mansion, Old Sport.

2. Fahrenheit 451

Image result for fahrenheit 451

This novel will always be extremely important, and given the state of the world today which is full of "alternative facts," we need to appreciate the power of books. They serve as protectors of truth and knowledge, acting as time stamps of history. This book brilliantly portrays this sentiment, while also keeping the reader on the edge of their seat the whole time.

3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Image result for one flew over the cuckoo's nest book

This is my favorite novel of all time, so I am undoubtedly biased. However, given the stigma on mental health that people are fighting around the world, this story gives us a glimpse into that stigma, while telling a story that is heartfelt, adventurous and full of meaning.

4. The Crucible

Image result for the crucible

Yes, I know this is technically a play, but it is wildly relevant nonetheless. This play explores the real-life ramifications of Groupthink, when one faulty idea pervades an entire society, costing innocent lives as a tragic result. I also just find it to be a very compelling and thrilling read.

5. The Lord of the Flies

Image result for lord of the flies

This is a book I read as a sophomore in high school that I would really like to get back to. Even though this book centers around a group of children, I think the behaviors shown in the story strongly parallel social interactions between adults. It questions the line between humanity and savagery, and forces us to look at the worst parts of our species. It's a very insightful story, and one that everyone can learn something from.