Disney Channel's Zombies

No, You’re Not Too Old To Watch Disney Channel’s Z-O-M-B-I-E-S

"What could go so wrong with a girl and a zombie?"

260
https://www.instagram.com/dcomzombies/
Instagram

Oh Disney Channel, the network that gave us classics such as "High School Musical", jam out sessions like "Camp Rock", and maybe a few duds we wish we could forget (I'm looking at you, "How to Build a Better Boy"). Now, Disney's newest hit about a human girl who falls in love with a zombie, set in an alternate modern era where Zombies are separated (read "segregated") from humans, is ready to rise up as one of the classics. I know Disney Channel as of late has been a less than desirable viewing experience (and that most of us are a bit more adult now, but honestly, can you ever really get too old for Disney?), but this new movie is entertainment for all ages and actually pretty important for a number of reasons. Again, please hear me out on this one.

1. The overall message of tolerance and thinly veiled metaphor for racism and discrimination (AKA, this movie is woke)

For the first time in forever (see what I did there?), the town of Seabrook is allowing Zombies to leave their "side of the tracks" to go to highschool with humans. As the two main characters, one human and one zombie, start to fall in love, everyone begins to learn that just because someone may look different from you, live in a different place than you, or love someone different from you, they are not to be feared, only accepted. Basically, Disney tries to disguise they're making any sort of social statement, but they don't try very hard.

2. Zedd and Addison are THE OTP

It's very rare nowadays to see a couple on TV who actually consistently tell each other the truth, express their feelings, and don't get caught in the misunderstanding trope that often plagues young couples in fictional media. Yet Disney seems to have cracked the code with Zed and Addison, whose blossoming love becomes a defining feature in the movie's plot about acceptance.

3. It's normal to be a male cheerleader

The head cheerleader? Yup, he's a guy! One of his assistant cheerleaders? A guy also! And there are quite a few more guys on the cheer squad.

For a sport that is traditionally shown as an all-female endeavor, a male cheerleader can often encourage negative slang or stereotyping, yet in this movie it's super common and there's not one comment about it not being normal! Disney is showing young boys and girls that anyone can love anything, regardless of gender. It also creates a movie completely devoid of toxic masculinity, which is just so refreshing.

4. The cast is actually diverse!

No more token black friend for good ratings, no Disney gave young actors of color time to shine in this inclusive new movie. Four of the nine central characters of "Zombies" are those of color, and this gives children (and us!) a chance to see stars that reflect themselves on television in a time where media is not nearly as inclusive as it should be.

5. It’s got a fun, catchy soundtrack, a staple for any Disney movie

Seriously, if you have not listened to the song "Someday", then you need to stop whatever you are doing right now and go listen. Minimize this article, go on whichever music listening platform you prefer (I'm a Spotify stan personally, but to each his own) and listen to it RIGHT NOW. It's the cutest. And don't even get me started on the choreography.

6. It passes the Bechdel test

Go Disney and it's gender equality! (If you don't know what the Bechdel Test is, you can check it out here)

7. They actually cast age appropriate actors

Nothing's worse than seeing a 30-year-old try to come off as a relatable, angsty 16-year-old. Thankfully, "Zombies" does not fall into that trap and casts teenagers to play the main characters who are, you guessed it, teenagers! (Some of the supporting cast may be a little older but overall it's a good thing)

8. The football coach

He's the greatest, I can't even explain, it's just something you have to see. Trust me, you'll be laughing for days.

9. Gender stereotypes? What are those?

The Zombie Eliza is a tech genius and flat out declines an invitation to a spa day, while Bonzo (another Zombie) is a guy who loves music, hugs, and is an all around sensitive sweetheart. The humans all wear outfits either entirely of blue or entirely of pink, but each color is worn by either sex. Oh, and did I mention the male cheerleaders?

10. Bree doesn’t have the body type of cheerleaders commonly shown on TV, but is this ever brought up? No, she flies

For someone who struggles with body image, it would have meant the world to me to see people of any size and shape in a sport very traditionally filled with a singular, smaller body type. Thank you Disney.

So grab the remote, grab some popcorn, and settle in for a movie that'll give you hope for our generation and those that follow, while also leaving you dancing and smiling long after the credits roll.