This Is Not To Influence Your Vote (But It Could've Been)

Who knew it would be a big deal to me?

11
Salma Torres

I became a citizen of the United States about a month or so ago, not that long, everything is still new to me. I'm still trying to go and renew my license, process my American passport, update my social security, meaning that it's all still new. The process was way longer than I thought, I always thought that after the application, the test and finally the ceremony, I would be done with all of this, I never thought of the events needed to be done after it was all official.

However, when I was trying to figure out when I would have time to get all the things I needed to be done over with, I realized that it was about to be voting season soon.

I never got to both before, meaning not even when I lived in Mexico did I have the opportunity to vote, so in my 21-years of life, I had never directly influenced the government I live in. So, when I realized that it was about to be voting time, I register to vote, and I was super excited for it, I would finally have the opportunity to impact the government I currently live under.

Despite my excitement over voting, I had zero clues about who the candidates were, what their platforms consisted off, things that you generally need to be able to vote for someone that you really believe in. So, with that in mind, I told myself not knowing would not stop me from voting. I took it upon myself to find out what my options were, I researched, talked to people and I allowed myself to form my own opinion.

Now, with this being my first election, I want to be ready, I want to feel like I know my options and I want to know that I'm making the decision. This is my future, just like it's going to be your future too. You should want to know, want to be informed, you should want to be heard and get your opinion out there.

Take it from someone that has never gotten the opportunity until now, this is the time where you matter and even if you think your vote won't change anything, it does because every vote counts and you should want to be part of what you believe is right.