ways to survive a bad roommate
Lifestyles

It's OK To Not Like Your Roommate, But Here Are 6 Things To Remember

You will learn a lot from it!

78
roommate

As a freshman, moving into a very small room that you must share with a stranger can be very scary! Many questions may come to your mind: are they athletic? Do they like the same music? Do like being outside? And so many more! My first thought was would we get along? I learned that my answer was yes, for a short while. We then started to not get along at all. I learned a lot from that experience and I feel like a better person because of it! Here are six steps that you can follow to try and still be a good roommate, even if you two don't get along.

1. Be kind

Not getting along with my roommate was very hard at first. I learned that instead of being mean and trying to get even, I should just let it all go. There were a few times I wanted to get even and may have even tried to, but know it's just easier to smile and be kind.

2. Listen

When they are trying to talk to you, listen. Try not to interrupt. Just stop talking and listen to what they have to say. Even if you don't care what they have to say, it may help make living with them easier and the experience a little better. They also may be telling you something about you that you might want to learn from.

3. Help each other

Of course, you don't like them, so why help them? Because it goes back to number one, be kind. If you are vacuuming the floor and there are crumbs on the floor under their bed just vacuum them up. It makes life less stressful for everyone!

4. Respect

It doesn't matter how much you don't like someone, respect them and their belongings. Don't talk about them to everyone on your floor behind their back. Leave their things alone if you don't have permission to touch them.

5. Focus on the positive

Find good things about them instead of bad! The more positive we are the better our days will go and the better we will feel, along with possibly making them happy too!

6. Above all...be a better person!

Look at all the difficult situations you have gone through. You did it! You made it through the semester. Now, you may not ever have to see them again, but look at what you learned from the experience! How to be a better YOU!