5 Not So Healthy Things We Do When We're Stressed

Have brownies ever let me down?
43

We are definitely all used to being stressed by now, and we've all acquired some habits and stressed out behaviors. Whether it's school, money, a job, multiple jobs, family, or the numerous other possibilities that might be pushing your buttons, it isn't unreasonable to need a distraction or some comfort. Some of us may be guilty of stress-eating and some may become complete hermits.

1. Dye your hair

As if a drastic change in your appearance will solve any of your problems. It's a nice distraction for some reason, though. The point is to do something nice and fun for yourself amidst all of the next semester tension and the strain of job hunting.

2. Eat and eat and eat

There's nothing food can't fix. Okay, maybe there are a lot of things food can't fix, but does that mean I still won't eat a box of microwavable taquitos in one day? I should add that none of what we eat when we're stressed is particularly healthy. Cheese makes me feel ways spinach never can.

3. So much coffee

Just the thought of coffee is so comforting. I don't care if it's 6 a.m., 12 p.m., or 12 a.m., I'm craving coffee. A warm beverage in the midst of your stress? Has anything stood the test of time like that? At a certain point move on to decaf, it's not really the goal to have 1000 milligrams of caffeine in your system, that'll just make everything worse. The stuff just tastes so darn good...

4. Me? Leave my room?

I have my laptop, some speakers, my cat. What else do I need? Sometimes we have to pretend the real world doesn't exist for a while. Cuddle your pets and watch some YouTube. Recharge your batteries and allow yourself to stop worrying for a second!

5. Watch a lot of HGTV and fill up your online shopping cart

While I'm definitely in no place to consider buying a beachfront property or spend $800 on clothes and home decor, I can dream. Once this stressful thing they call college is over and I've landed the job of my dreams, I'll be glad I have all this currently unusable knowledge about which tile to choose for my 4000 square foot house.

Remember, these aren't necessarily healthy mechanisms to cope with stress! We really should take this time to eat healthier, exercise more, and solve our problems. Anyways, I'll be eating this chocolate muffin and binge-watching Property Brothers if you need me.