Not Everyone Has The Fortune Of Celebrating Father's Day With Their Fathers

10
unsplash

For 17 years I was fortunate enough to celebrate Father's Day with my dad. Now it's just another Sunday...and I'm okay with that.

Every year we'd have breakfast, followed by his gifts; a new fitted baseball hat and his Father's Day card. Even to his last Father's Day, we kept tradition, but after he passed away the question whether to celebrate or move on arose.

The first two years were difficult, I felt forced to go along with the wishes of my family by continuing to celebrate Father's Day as if nothing had changed, but everything had changed. I could honor his memory and remember how much he loved me, but I couldn't celebrate Father's Day without a father...It's gotten easier within the last two years as everyone in my family has adapted to life without him in their own way.

I've spent 4 years adjusting to a holiday that's now become just another day in my life. I haven't forgotten about him and I never will, but I choose to honor him in my own way. I know that he lives on within me and I will continue to do so.