Men Need To Hold Each Other Accountable

Men Need To Hold Each Other Accountable For Their Actions Before They Claim 'Not ALL Men'

Not all men are evil, but enough of them are.

317

Men's response when women say they are scared of men has been quite aggravating. Most men typically respond by getting defensive and stating "I don't disrespect women" in different variations of wording. The thing is we are not generalizing all men. Not a single woman is saying that enough men commit rape, partake in sexual harassment or sexual assault, and overall believe they are entitled to what women have to offer.

This is the society that we live in. A society that has frustrated women to the point that we fear ALL men because there is little to repercussions for their misbehavior. Instead, women are shamed and punished when something does happen. Men are not questioned about why they did what they did, but women are questioned as to what they did to prompt the man's reaction.

When a woman goes out for a night out she has to plan around multiple situations. There are usually multiple options to get home safely. A friend can be a designated driver or she can take an Uber or a Lyft with her friends. She shares her location with loved ones. If she's walking home, she carries a key between her fingers along with pepper spray and 911 dialed with a finger hovering over the call button. She crosses the street when she thinks she's being followed. Ultimately, she knows she must go out with a group. Meanwhile, men may just worry about having a good time.

Women will still be blamed for walking late at night, wearing something provocative, drinking any amount of alcohol, and going out. The very same fault of a woman will be used as an excuse for a man. He was intoxicated, therefore he was not in control of his actions. Since she was showing skin, how could he resist?

You see, the issue isn't that all men are evil, but enough of them are.

Enough evil men are out there but never punished — women can find themselves being blamed for being "reckless." It's not all men's fault because our society has to take some blame. Rape prevention programs have been established, informing women on how not to get raped instead of teaching men not to rape. Men are encouraged to be sexually active because it's socially acceptable, while women don't experience the same energy either way because being more particular makes her a prude but being sexually active makes her a slut.

So, I implore everyone who reads this article to change something. This may mean holding your head up high, admitting that you are NOT at fault, or even telling someone else their actions are not ok. Something has to change because, right now, it's not okay. Men can sit there on their high horse and say it's not all men. However, until they start taking action, they are part of the men who are the issue.